1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Fundraising Proposition?

Discussion in 'Fundraising' started by Dudden, May 7, 2019.

1. Dudden

Dudden Established Member (Voting Rights)

Dear friends and family members. Research is moving forward in the field of ME/CFS and although much has been accomplished, it is only a fragment of what can be achieved. Many of us are eager to know more. Therefore, acceleration of researches is vital. Now, financing studies and researches would not and should not be common for us, knowing that our conditions prevent us from physical as well as mental tasks and any income should be kept for personal requirements. However, time moves fast and many (including myself) grow restless as fundraisers in higher positions such as the NIH, are paying litte to no attention to our cases (I am aware that specific parties are working on receving NIH grants as we speak but I know little of the progress there). That is why I have thought of initiating a fundraiser to support, at least, one research to accelerate the progress for that. The issue: what researches can be funded? Are there any preferred sites that raise funds (I know of a few but suggestions are welcome)? How much is needed for that particular research? I have, initially thought of the "metabolic trap" study based on an earlier request made by Ron Davis on October 18, 2018 (se link below), I however, consider myself to have limited knowledge on researches in general and therefore I turn to you. Even if we can provide little to any research, I think that would be greater than nothing. Still, is suggesting a fundraiser even a good idea? Please, share your thoughts with us.

Note: The fundraiser is thought to be direct towards any donors and are not limited to ME/CFS patients. I have no intention of leading that fundraiser but would consult others such as OMF to do so on some fundraisning sites.

Source: https://www.healthrising.org/blog/2...on-the-molecular-basis-of-me-cfs-at-stanford/

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    DokaGirl likes this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I would suggest directing fundraising efforts at publicising appeals from existing organisations which fundraise for ME research, and leaving it to their experts to decide which projects are most likely to yield results.

For example, if you want to donate to Robert Phair's metabolic trap research, donate to the Open Medicine Foundation.
    Other good organisations include Solve ME/CFS Initiative in the USA, and the ME Association, ME Research UK and Invest in ME Research in the UK. There are similar organisations in some other countries.

I can't see any point in an individual like you or me trying to set up a separate fundraiser.

MEMarge, alktipping, Hutan and 5 others like this.
  3. Dudden

The initial thought was to ask OMF regarding that question and perhaps I dont need to personally begain anything myself. I cannot, as of now, act on behalf of them but I have received request from them to start a fundraising proposition for something else (I think others at OMF have received that request aside from myself). The point here was to ask if it was a good idea to begain with, otherwise, I am not starting anything by myself nor do I have the intention to have a leading roll in the fundings, even if the idea was widely accepted and agreed on.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    DokaGirl likes this.
  4. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Some family members do a fundraising activity on behalf of someone with ME great example is Mikes ME marathons there’s posts about that on here.

Another minimal effort from the ME person is to have an online fundraiser for your birthday and ask friends and family to donate instead of giving gifts. I reckon that’s a good one especially if you have a big birthday coming up 30 40 50 etc. And you set it up for OMF or whatever your preferred ME research organisation is

MEMarge, Hutan, rvallee and 1 other person like this.
  5. Dudden

I really meant that this community was part of my family, my apologies if anyone missunderstood that. In any case, I think your idea is great. Would you recommend a certain research? I am going to attempt to convince OMF to start a fundraisning campaign. The main thought was to start a limited-time fundraiser so that one research can be accelerated through these funds.

DokaGirl likes this.
  6. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I’m in the U.K. if I did that when I have my next big birthday- 60 i would support the U.K. ME CFS Biobank and OMF

7. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Almost every big player from OMF to Dr Klimas to several others i can think of would love to have research money.
    If we had $25 million a year i am sure we can find people with track records to put it to good use without any trouble.
    But how to get that money?

If we had $100 million a year i'm sure we could find good people to put it to productive use as well

8. Dudden

Well, what we can contribute with, although would not be sufficient (no once can provide millions in an instant), would still be of significance to fund whatever cheaper research there is (metabolic trap was, according to few, quite low). I have contacted OMF and it seems the idea was well received. I now await further contact regarding steps etc.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    Sean likes this.
  9. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

OMF has done a fair bit of micro fundraising.
    There are other examples of the same, Amazon smile for example gives a percentage of sales to OMF if you register for it and make purchases.
    I had posted a thread suggesting someone with experience could approach the Giving Pledge and might get lucky?

https://www.s4me.info/threads/could...-a-cash-infusion-from-the-giving-pledge.9212/

rvallee likes this.