1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Functional seizures: The patient’s perspective of a diagnostic and treatment odyssey, 2022, Andrini et al

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, Feb 4, 2022.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Highlights

• Functional seizures remains a complex neuropsychiatric condition to identify and treat.
    • Practitioners must address management of physical symptoms and underlying causes.
    • Management strategies can fail if their reasoning is not properly communicated.
    • Better outcomes may result where treatment rationale is emphasized from outset.

Abstract

Functional seizures can be challenging to properly diagnose, often leading to delays in treatment. The etiology of functional seizures is multifactorial, with psychological factors identified in many, but not all cases. Misdiagnosis may occur due to clinical features mimicking other medical conditions. Once a correct diagnosis is reached, delivery of definitive, evidence-based treatment may be challenging due to limited availability of specialized resources. Research shows psychological education and cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) have the greatest efficacy. However, individual differences, including acceptance of the diagnosis, therapeutic alliance, duration of symptoms, comorbidities, and access to care may influence outcomes. There is a critical need for reports that can help identify barriers to effective diagnosis and treatment.

We present the diagnosis and treatment of a woman who visited the emergency room after an attack of predominant left-sided paralysis, speech dysfunction and altered awareness. Following multiple daily episodes and visits to multiple medical practitioners, testing led to a diagnosis of functional seizures. While the patient was recommended to undergo a variety of therapeutic interventions, including CBT, she ultimately terminated treatment. In a subsequent interview, the patient revealed her personal experience with perceived limitations of acute management strategies. We explore the complexities of diagnosing and treating individuals with functional seizures.

Open access, https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2589986421000836

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  2. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Trying to wrap my head around the term "functional seizures" :') .

3. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm trying to wrap my head around the idea of a "clinical feature" mimicking anything - let alone "other medical conditions".

Mithriel, Michelle, Arnie Pye and 3 others like this.
  4. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

This poor women was having many seizures a day. At followup several years later, she was still having seizures, but had learned to tell when they were coming, and sit down.

Some highlights from the paper:

This bit was particularly remarkable - the authors acknowledge many people get better without treatment. And the treatment of functional seizures usually takes months...

I find it amazing that the authors could put so much effort into researching and writing this paper and still be completely oblivious to the fact that the medical professionals caused harm to this woman and provided no help. It was not a problem in communication. The problem was that the medical professionals had absolutely nothing of use to offer.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2022
    Snowdrop, Mithriel, Sean and 14 others like this.
  5. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is this one of those "CBT" sessions where the patient has to confess to a distressing life event which is seized on as the reason for their physical symptoms?

(I went through something similar in a IAPT supposedly "CBT" setting where the therapist picked through my childhood and adolescence (before ME) trying to find something that would explain to them why I ended up sick. I was then expected to agree to this as being the cause.

The Therapist told me that all ME cases and all immune related diseases (including autoimmune) were caused by distressing previous experiences. hence the interest in families, current relationships, work etc

There was, like this patient maybe?, a lack of interest in how a lack of medical care harmed me)

Snow Leopard, Mithriel, Sean and 10 others like this.
  6. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't blame this poor woman for terminating treatment. Apart from anything else, the patient appears to live in the USA. So she is paying for all this failed and useless treatment.

I wonder if they actually did much in the way of biological testing. I was rather shocked to see that they prescribed Haloperidol (an anti-psychotic used in the treatment of schizophrenia) in the very beginning because of a comment from the patient that it helped 23 years ago. In the patient's shoes I would have kept quiet about this.

This appears to me to be very, very lazy doctoring. I wonder what evidence there was that the diagnosis (if any) and treatment was correct 23 years ago. It sounds as if the doctors were just "winging it".

Just as an aside...

Various parts of my body used to lock up sometimes and any attempt at relaxing would fail within seconds, although I don't have the problem any more. As a result of experimentation (by me) I found out that my problem was magnesium deficiency. Cheap as chips and works very quickly if my muscles won't relax e.g. if I get cramp.

According to wikipedia (I know, I know - a dreadful reference), magnesium deficiency can cause epileptic seizures . Yet, if you read the link on epileptic seizures it doesn't mention magnesium deficiency as a cause. The problem with testing magnesium is that it is an extremely poor test and few people would ever show up as being deficient in a such a test.

There are various other electrolytes that can cause muscles to spasm if levels are wrong. I wonder what the effect would be on the head and brain.

Snow Leopard, Mithriel, Sean and 3 others like this.
  7. Hutan

This is what is said about the CBT:
    It's not at all clear if the woman's seizures were being linked to the trauma of herself being bitten by a dog when she was 15, or if instead the issue was her mother being bitten by a dog when the patient was 15. Also, the patient's mother was upset about spousal infidelity, possibly when the patient was 15. Regardless, although it's hard to know exactly how traumatising each of the events noted were, it all sounds rather like grasping at straws to connect them to recurrent seizures.

This statement at the end of the article adds a further twist to the account. I find both the quality of the medicine and the science set out here disturbing and very revealing.

Snowdrop, Snow Leopard, Sean and 8 others like this.
  8. Hutan

I mean, what exactly are the authors advocating? It seems to be informing the person more clearly that her physical symptoms are linked to past trauma and stress, so that she becomes willing to engage in therapy.

So, are they suggesting that the possibility of a biological cause should never be mentioned to a patient? Do they think that if the CBT therapist had said that the woman's problem was conversion disorder on the first session rather than the second, that the woman would not have terminated the therapy by the third session? How can you 'properly communicate' a management strategy when that management strategy is based on unfounded and wild speculation?

Ugh, this one got under my skin.

9. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I read this first as the mother having been bitten when the mother was 15, but when I re-read it I was convinced that the patient herself was bitten when the patient was 15. It's not clear. But we know two things: Someone was bitten, and someone was 15.

Sean, Trish, Peter Trewhitt and 3 others like this.
  10. Hutan

It feels as though a podcast could be made disentangling story. Or an episode of a medical soap opera.

(not to make light of the woman's experience, which undoubtedly has been awful)

ukxmrv, Sean, Trish and 2 others like this.
  11. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How old was the dog?

dave30th, Hutan, chrisb and 7 others like this.
  12. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It all sounds to me like propaganda. That poor woman.

13. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The only interesting question which arises from this paper is: "Do they run any critical thinking classes at Schmid College of Science and Technology, or, come to that at Stanford?"

EDIT perhaps I should expand on that.

How can they say that etiology is multifactorial when they don't know the causes? All they can claim are correlations. Is that what they mean by etiology? Presumably the multifactorial features are biopsychosocial. But that, potentially, includes everything. What useful claims are made?

At least when Wessely claimed that etiology was not important, it was a meaningful statement - even if wrong.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
    Hutan and Peter Trewhitt like this.