1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

From the NHS : OSCAR - Online Support and Clinical Advice Resource

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Arnie Pye, Mar 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, ladycatlover, Amw66 and 4 others like this.
  2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The guide they link to is interesting.

https://my-oscar.nhs.uk/documents/cfsme-service-primary-care-info-leaflet.pdf

Suggested by who? Based on what evidence?

Oh, I see it's one of those inspiring post-truth things. What a sophisticated understanding of the mind-body benefits of deceptive quackery they have.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    MEMarge, ladycatlover, Barry and 7 others like this.
  3. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Leeds & West Yorkshire
    CFS/ME Service
    Monitoring Outcome of therapy
    There is a National Outcome Database based in Bristol which collates anonymous therapy
    outcome data from services across England. Leeds and West Yorkshire CFS/ME
    Service has participated in this project from the outset, enabling us to benchmark the outcome of our
    therapy, which has always been comparable or better on the number of outcome measures
    monitored."

hmm

eta:
    "
    Biopsychosocial assessment and diagnosis led by Dr. Hiroko Akagi, Consultant
    Liaison Psychiatrist and Clinical Lead.
    There is also sessional input from a GP with a Special Interest in CFS/ME."

eta2:
    "
    Referrals for inpatient admission

Yorkshire Centre for Psychological Medicine
    The in-patient element of the CFS/ME service is provided by the Yorkshire Centre for Psychological Medicine (YCPM) on Ward 40 at Leeds General Infirmary. This unit has facilities for inpatient assessment and rehabilitation of patients with severe CFS/ME.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    MEMarge, ladycatlover, Barry and 2 others like this.
  4. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I noticed the almost complete lack of references.

I'm also unclear why the CFS/ME pathway is hidden under Pain Management, with no clues to the fact it is even there.

I only posted about this, by the way, because people need to know what others are reading that may be complete rubbish.

MEMarge, ladycatlover, Barry and 5 others like this.
  5. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Well thank goodness it's possible to replace a negative self-fullfilling prophecy with a positive one:

I first read about positive self-fullfilling prophecies from this book, which was kindly recommended to me by anonymous and unsolicited letter in 1983:

As an open-minded and optimistic 17-year old, I ordered the book from America and waited 6 weeks for it to arrive by surface mail.

Unfortunately I never have managed to become a millionaire, but as the book says, I'm probably not doing it right and should just keep trying. After all, it's only been 34 years. Joe Karbo was a millionaire (90% of his business was selling a book) so his method obviously works. Here's the man himself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiQXZu8tVfg

It's great to see the science of self-fullfilling prophecies incorporated into NHS treatment advice. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have worked for the last 30 years either, but we're obviously doing it wrong and should just keep trying. Thankfully there is a Joe Karbo of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (he's made a fortune from it) who is prepared to guide us:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrVO1s8u3K0