1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Food Implications in Central Sensitization Syndromes, 2020, Aguilar-Aguilar

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Open access, https://www.mdpi.com/2077-0383/9/12/4106/htm

Helene, oldtimer, Barry and 5 others like this.
  2. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

hmm, judging by the amount of talk about food on this forum I find this hard to believe.

shak8, Michelle, Helene and 8 others like this.
  3. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

I would very much like to know. It wouldn't surprise me for moderate/severe, and even some mildly affected. Many symptoms of ME can disturb food prep and/or appetite.

There is a rehab centre in my town where they sometimes have ME patients, some of them keep food in the drawer next to bed because they couldn't get to the kitchen... in a "youth with ME" group I'm in on fb, there are often posts about "easy to prepare/eat foods" as people just don't have the energy. And I'm sad to say that a lot of options that are suggested are not nutritious, and I've seen week-plans where there are alarming red flags in the nutrient-department (although energy requirements may be met). And then there's all the different diets and supplements people try out with little knowledge of nutrients they have to be mindful of :(

shak8, Sly Saint, Helene and 5 others like this.
  4. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Current indications show that dietary modifications may vastly improve the patients’ quality of life at a low cost."

Stopped reading at that point! :bored:

shak8, Michelle, Helene and 8 others like this.
  5. Midnattsol

Has to be included in everything, together with the importance of a dietitians guidance. Lest some forget we exist and need work :whistle:

6. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Never mind the content - can we really state with such absolute confidence that ME, CFS & FM are "Central Sensitization Syndromes"? I think not.

As for food.......you can waffle on all you like but the basic starting points for looking at food & nutrition in an illness like ME have to be-

1. Can the patient afford to buy the food they need?
    2. Can the patient acquire the food needed - if they are capable of online shopping that doesn't mean they can get up and answer the door and put their delivered groceries away.
    3. Can the patient prepare the food? Even if they can afford to buy and acquire the food they simply may mot be able to prepare it & to have any nutrition at all they may have to rely on foods that aren't ideal from a nutritional point of view.
    4. Severe/very severe ME patients and those with certain comorbidities may be unable to eat, swallow or digest food - even if they have adequate support to fulfil the first 3 points. This is another but equally important issue.
    Until the first 3 points are addressed then the rest is largely patient blaming as far as I'm concerned.

Those ME patients I know who are well enough to go trying to better their diet do their level best to do that quite early on.

Changing my diet, with expert help, did improve my life as my IBS disappeared but made zero difference to my ME.

Yessica, shak8, Sly Saint and 12 others like this.
  7. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

The CFS population is usually malnourished

Which would explain my extra 8kgs. :rolleyes:

Helene, alktipping, MEMarge and 5 others like this.
  8. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was considered 'malnourished' because I was depleted in proteins, fats and minerals. I ate a healthy diet, but had serious malabsorption problems at the time. Many chronic illnesses have gut issues so there's that too.

Yessica, Amw66, Helene and 5 others like this.
  9. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To which the nutritionalist who believes diet can cure all including cancer, would respond ‘in our society we are over fed but under nourished’.

I agree people with ME would benefit from appropriate support in relation to their diet, but because of all the practical issues raised by @Invisible Woman and to a lesser extend to identify and help those needing to address the food sensitivities associated with such as ME. This should not be seen as treatment, but rather practical support and symptom management.

shak8, Mithriel, Michelle and 11 others like this.
  10. Midnattsol

Yes, the practical
    This! ME was not mentioned at all when we were taught about different diseases where such help could be necessary :banghead:

I did not read past the central sensitization, I just enjoy the topic :p

Helene, alktipping, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  11. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Babble and Squeak.

shak8, Helene, alktipping and 8 others like this.
  12. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

“Central sensitization syndromes (CSSs) or functional somatic syndromes include different chronic and acquired disorders related to an unknown etiology, such as fibromyalgia (FM), chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS) and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).”

Cannot get past this.

13. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

If they are of "unknown etiology", then how can they be safely placed into classifications that assume a causal process?

Yessica, Mithriel, Milo and 11 others like this.
  14. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Because they said so. (Sigh)

Yessica, Mithriel, Amw66 and 4 others like this.