1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

FINE trial Step test data released in 2017

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Esther12, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm sure we must already have discussed this, but I've not found the thread/discussion so thought that I'd risk to problem of a re-post (sorry mods).

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/cfs_fine_what_story_does_the_obj_2#incoming-1026066

Woolie's summary of FINE:

As Woolie says, they did eventually release their null results for this anyway so the data might not reveal anything much, but I thought it could be of interest to someone here.

Sean, Snow Leopard, Annamaria and 7 others like this.
  2. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I don't remember seeing that data before.

Barry, Dolphin and Amw66 like this.
  3. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Could someone make a presentation of this data? For example mean and standard deviation for each outcome (steps, time pulse) at baseline, 20 weeks and 70 weeks?

I'm not good at playing around with data. I can't even figure which patients are in which treatment group...

4. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It just takes some practise, you'll become a professional data torturer in no time!

MSEsperanza, Barry, Annamaria and 2 others like this.
  5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

MSEsperanza, Kalliope, EzzieD and 5 others like this.
  6. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

upload_2020-6-9_20-54-20.png
    I thought: What! A scientist who queries the meaning of an objective outcome?

Then I see:
    upload_2020-6-9_20-56-38.png

Just reinforces my sense that many (not all!) psyche scientists live in some sort of alien universe, where different natural laws seem to apply.

Mithriel, Webdog, EzzieD and 7 others like this.
  7. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

"been out of the field for years, mainly because I found the hostile debates stressful"

Be grateful you had the choice to walk away. Patients don't get that luxury.

8. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Apparently (according to Richard Bentall) I'm profoundly ignorant as I believe that a lack of patient blinding can lead to response biases when patients talk to assessors and this bias reverts to the mean at long term followups.

Richard Bentall is in the camp that believes that unblinded trials combined with subjective outcome measures are credible because he hasn't realised that isn't the best that they can do.

Mithriel, EzzieD, Sean and 5 others like this.
  9. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In other news I just printed myself a winning lotto ticket and demand, DEMAND, that it be honored and anyone who suggests I may have been biased in printing myself a winning lotto ticket is a vexatious anti-science bigot.

I have also awarded myself a PhD in Excellence. I wrote the entire program. I also run the entire program. I wrote all the tests and exams. I graded all the exams and formed an excellent PhD review committee, I am quoted as saying so. I scored perfectly, obviously. Anyone who alleges that I am biased in awarding myself a PhD in Excellence is obviously profoundly ignorant of the fact that this I simply prefer this outcome and this is now a valid peer-reviewed argument against any criticism.

If you refuse to call me Dr Excellent I will scream about being silenced from the world's loudest megaphone.

TiredSam, MSEsperanza, EzzieD and 7 others like this.
  10. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

Thank you for this :rofl: