1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I never noticed this before but...

In the 1961 science-fiction film (not the TV show) "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea," a psychiatrist aboard the submarine Seaview diagnoses several bedbound members of the crew with stress-induced hyper-neurasthenia. It turns out that the psychiatrist is actually a saboteur who is herself responsible for a lot of the stress.

But it all turns out OK. After she is exposed as a spy, she is... eaten by sharks. [Really.]

VttBotS.jpg

Oscar winner Joan Fontaine (sister of actress Olivia de Havilland) plays the doctor/saboteur.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
  2. Louie41

Louie41 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Unlike the original release of Justice League the new version (4 hours long) is IMO actually worth watching.

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/how-to-watch-justice-league-zack-snyder-cut-online

Unusually for a superhero film, it's story led, not special effects led - same basic story as the original version, just more rounded, with, as I say, much more reliance on the story rather than glossing over any weak points with special effects.

They serve the storyline, rather than the storyline being there simply to connect bits of essentially random showing off of special effects.

ETA - I have so far not seen a single scene that looks the same as the original release. It's not just an extended version, it is essentially a different film, with the same cast and storyline.

In the UK it's available on Sky Cinema Premiere (on SKY or NOW TV), in the US on HBO Max.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
    Forbin, Yessica, JemPD and 1 other person like this.
  4. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting @Wonko. Somehow, I never got around to seeing "Justice League" when it first came out - possibly because it received only slightly better reviews than the prior "Dawn of Justice" (which also seemed like it had too much stuffed into it for its length, even at 2-1/2 hours). Thanks for the info on the longer version of "Justice League." If I'm going to give that film a go, I'd prefer to watch the longer version and hope that it plays out smoother than "Dawn of Justice."

Of all the DCEU films, I suppose I enjoyed "Aquaman" the most, which is odd considering I was never much of a fan of that character.

Louie41 and Wonko like this.