1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. Legend

Legend Established Member (Voting Rights)

I haven't watched the movie, and see the Swedish title is "Sameblod".
    I don't know what the movie is about, but based on the little you wrote about the movie, I nearly already can understand some of the action.

Yes, sorry to say, the Sami were prejudiced in the early 1900's. Almost in the same way immigrants were treated in other countries at that time. They were ostracized and subject to racism. They were not accepted in the same way as the ordinary population, and had to colonize and many had to continually move around. The history of the Sami is poor, from a view of equality.
    Around 1960s they were officially integrated into society. As you know, things aren't as good in reality as on paper. But things started changing around that period of time.
    Without knowing for sure (I do not know anyone who is Sami, and I am not from that area), I believe the Samis now is fully integrated and are living normal lives.
    Something else is incomprehensible to me, since we live in a modern age of equality. People are people, regardless of background.

Invisible Woman and Yessica like this.
  2. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

After watching the movie, I watched a short documentary about how many Sami are rejected by other Sami (the elite, reindeer herders) all because of Swedish (?) policies about granting territory to reindeer herders or something. Only ten percent of Sami herd reindeer.
    I'll have to find the documentary.

Tonight I will finish watching Mads Mickelson in The Hunt.

Thanks, @Cesar! Your handsome avatar has inspired me to upload a photo.
    Oh, though I'd rather have uploaded a Norwegian Forest Cat photo.
    We have one for real in my neighborhood and the size of his paws! Green eyes, very friendly (oh, this belongs in the cat section...)/

Invisible Woman, Yessica and Legend like this.
  3. Legend

Legend Established Member (Voting Rights)

That's correct. And there was also two types of Sami. Coast Sami and Mountains Sami. So there was internal conflicts too.

Haha. I created it myself for this forum. It's okay and shows how I looks like, but not as goodlooking as it should be compared to reality :woot::laugh:

User pictures makes me remember users better. So that's nice :thumbup: Beautiful cat you has there! :)

Invisible Woman and Yessica like this.
  4. TheBassist

TheBassist Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’m trying to watch more tv but my eyes get so fatigued it’s a real drag. Why can’t my arse or my toes get fatigued instead? Ffs stupid illness. Btw loving the current Better Call Saul

5. TheBassist

1917 is bloody fabulous. I only counted 2 cuts. Tense as hell all the way through. Dunkirk too. That sequence when the engine cuts on the fighter and he glides to a landing, my god that’s some amazing cinema

Forbin likes this.
  6. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Surely you mean 'as well' rather than 'instead'?

I live in a world where body parts learned a long time ago to gang up on me, as I rarely notice when it's just one, or a couple of them, that complains.
    :rofl:

:hug:

I am currently no good at watching TV, not having managed more than a few minutes a hit for the last couple of days.:grumpy:

Invisible Woman, Yessica and shak8 like this.
  7. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I believe there are actually 5 or 6 cuts. Some are kind of obvious, like when the camera goes into or comes out of bunker and the lens is momentarily obscured by something like a cloth flap-door, but some appear to use computer trickery to merge two scenes. I think an example of this is when the British soldiers are climbing out of the flooded shell crater and encounter a body embedded in the crater wall. There's a moment when something, I think a tree stump, intervenes between the soldier and the camera and that's where the "cut" occurs. I believe it's actually a matting together of two moving shots, but it's so seamless as to be unnoticeable - or I'm just imagining that that's where a "cut" occured. I was suspicious of this shot because it seems like the horror of the dead body was being used as a kind of misdirection to obscure the transition even more.

8. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There are still conflicts, political as well as hate crimes such as reindeer being murdered etc :'(

Invisible Woman and Legend like this.
  9. TheBassist

Gonna have to get the blu Ray. The extras will be interesting.

10. Draggin'

Draggin' Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was having the same problem, ditto staring at computer monitor for any length of time. I ordered a cheap pair of blue-light blockig glasses, and voila!!!! extended viewing and computer time considerably. They fit over my reading glasses, which is critical for computer time.

he only draw-back is that the orange screws around with color to some extenet, but not badly enough to make me go back to 10 minutes of TV at a whack.

They're made by UVEX and cost $8.00, US, available on Amazon.

Here's hoping they help. Under these conditions (as so many others are going to discover what with COVID-19) life without the distraction and even illumination of TV (if you're lucky enough to find a good program) is nasty, brutish, and seems waaaay longer than most of us can tolerate ....

TheBassist, Wonko and Webdog like this.
  11. TheBassist

Interesting to hear. You’re the only other sufferer I’ve found who’s told me they also have bad eye problems. It’s one of my most disabling symptoms.

Draggin' likes this.
  12. Forbin

This article asserts there are far more cuts in "1917" than I imagined.

13. TheBassist

Extraordinary editing then, which benefits my ME brain.

14. Forbin

The 2004 film "Primer" is a great little piece of science fiction (made on a budget of $7,000). It's about a pair of young engineers who inadvertently build a time machine in their garage. They work out a way to avoid affecting future events so as to gain advanced knowledge of the stock market, but things take an unexpected turn.

Here's a trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nj5MMURCm8

There are a couple of videos on youtube explaining how they deal with time paradox involved. It can be confusing, but I understood it the first time I watched the film.

The film won several awards, which is amazing as it was essentially an amatuer production.

Draggin', Wonko, Mij and 1 other person like this.
  15. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'll take a look ;)

16. Diluted-biscuit

Diluted-biscuit Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wheelman on Netflix was a good action thriller.

I finally watched the evil dead remake too, surprisingly good although of course not a patch on the original.

17. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From the perspective if just sitting and losing yourself in the story. I watched Doctor Sleep (based on the Stephen King novel) & thoroughly enjoyed it.

Some nice little flashbacks to the Overlook Hotel from the Shining.

I forgot to keep an eye out to see if Stephen King himself appeared in it anywhere....

Yessica likes this.
  18. Draggin'

Sorry for the late reply. Been feeling a little bit off and foggy.

My problem isn't anything like disabling. It's just inconvenient and sometimes unpleasant, but you sound like you've got it much worse.

Have you tried reducing at least the screen fatigue with the orange glasses? They help me enormously, but then I dont have it anywhere near as bad as you do.

Here's hoping .....

19. Draggin'

It sounds really interesting and right up my alley ..... I love cleverly made films that don;t rely on great boatloads of money and CGI to hold an audience, or endless frames of gory and gratuitous sex. After awhile, the sex is like watching someone eat: a natural function with way too many expectations placed on it, contributing nothing to the plot, the story, r the character development ....

Unfortunately, the Sneek Peek wouldn't play, but I'll hunt down the movie, and thank you for the post !!!

Forbin likes this.
  20. Forbin

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    Yessica likes this.