1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Fatigue: The Silent Symptom of Parkinson’s Disease

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Sly Saint, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"
    A 2013 survey by the Parkinson’s disease Foundation (PDF) identified fatigue as the most pressing need for the Parkinson’s research community.

While tremors, muscle stiffness, and irregular gait are the symptoms most associated with Parkinson’s disease, 50% of PD patients experience severe fatigue and a third say it is their single most debilitating symptom. Fatigue is the most significant reason cited for medical disability insurance claims by PD patients in the United States. Despite this overwhelming evidence, neurologists tend not to recognize fatigue as a prominent concern of PD patients.

Two studies in newly diagnosed Parkinson’s patients reported fatigue to be a clinically relevant problem even when motor symptoms were minimal. These studies identified fatigue as a “pre-motor” symptom, appearing well before motor symptoms become obvious. Parkinson’s patients describe their fatigue as different than any tiredness they had experienced before their diagnosis. Unlike fatigue in the general public, PD fatigue often improves with exercise.

Mental fatigue that affects Parkinson’s patients is called “central fatigue” and relates to the experience of feeling weary or exhausted during an intellectually challenging task, along with decreased capacity to initiate or sustain cognitively challenging activities. Parkinson’s patients suffering from cognitive fatigue have reduced attention span, and may have deficits in learning, memory, and information processing. Cognitive fatigue will often emerge as tasks become increasingly more complex or attention demands are greater."

http://www.hopeforfatigue.org/parki...he-silent-symptom-of-parkinson-s-disease.html

just shows that 'chronic disabling fatigue' is not unique to ME/CFS..............
    Big difference tho is the reaction to exercise.

Another reason (as if we needed one) to ditch the Chronic fatigue moniker.

rvallee, MEMarge, andypants and 8 others like this.
  2. Sly Saint

Fatigue in Parkinson's disease is associated with lower diastolic blood pressure
    August 22, 2019
    https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-08-fatigue-parkinson-disease-diastolic-blood.html

MEMarge, andypants, JohnM and 2 others like this.
  3. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

My relative who has Parkinson’s has the frozen up state but when meds kick in and they are mobile again actually is pretty mobile and does a lot of walking. Goes between being in a wheelchair and walking about four times as fast as me. I’ve seen them looking exhausted but it doesn’t seem to be related to physical activity. I think it’s the effect of medication wearing off.

4. Hip

Hip Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A recent study found evidence of chronic enteroviral infection within the brainstem neurons in Parkinson's.

One family member is showing the symptoms of Parkinson's, and I suspect this was caused by the coxsackievirus B4 virus which triggered my ME/CFS, and also infected all my friends and family, causing lots of sudden heart attacks, ruptured bowels, type 1 diabetes, as well as sudden-onset mental illnesses such as anxiety and depression.

For the observant, it's so clear how a nasty pathogen can cause whole swathes of ill health. But we are still living in the dark ages, where the general public are blissfully unaware of the connection between chronic illness and the pathogens in common circulation.

MEMarge, Mithriel, merylg and 3 others like this.
  5. Sly Saint

I know that Parkinsons is no laughing matter but this did make me laugh
    The effects of exercise interventions on Parkinson’s disease: A Bayesian network meta-analysis
    https://www.jocn-journal.com/article/S0967-5868(19)30742-8/pdf

good for 'strictly' fans

6. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I must tell my relatives they will think this is hilarious

rvallee, MEMarge and ladycatlover like this.
  7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Have people completely lost their minds? Is there something in the water? In the air?

Have they ever seen a Parkinson's patient? I mean, sure, if you catch it very early, by sheer luck, before it's symptomatic this isn't necessarily bad but it won't do a damn thing once the disease progresses.

My grandmother spent years being unable to walk and many more years in palliative care, in immense pain.

Tango? To paraphrase a US presidential candidate: members of the medical profession, WTF?

Trish likes this.