1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Fatigue Symptoms during the First Year after ARDS, 2020, Neufeld et al

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Andy, May 2, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Paywall, https://journal.chestnet.org/article/S0012-3692(20)30686-3/pdf
    Sci hub, https://sci-hub.tw/10.1016/j.chest.2020.03.059

Sean, Hutan, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting. Is the fatigue caused by the ARDS, PVFS, or both? It will be hard to separate the two. Lots to separate here.

Because frankly a lot of arrows are starting to point to oxygen as the main driver of fatigue, or rather how the body uses oxygen anyway.

Which frankly makes a lot of sense, if the body does switch to anaerobic energy, regardless of why, you're going to have very impaired system performance. No matter the reason for that impairment, whether it is because the lungs aren't exchanging it efficiently, hemoglobin is not delivering it adequately or whether the metabolism is unable to make use of it, say as a defense mechanism.

Because lots of COVID patients did not have severe respiratory illness, but wonky oxygen saturation is very common. I see a lot of dizziness, shortness of breath, tachycardia, blurry vision, nausea, confusion, etc. Lots of things that all revolve around either impacts of low oxygen or systems compensating for low oxygen.

It would also explain most of the "psychological" symptoms, as obviously low oxygen to the brain, at a level that is sustainable but not optimal for performance, would explain why the brain is running like on molasses fumes.

3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I dont think ME is related to oxygen saturation in the blood. According to my pulse oximeter mine is perfectly normal, despite me having ME for 30 years.

alktipping, Mij, Snow Leopard and 3 others like this.
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Right, since it's normal it neither concerns the lungs themselves or even its transport, rather its metabolism. Although it's not really clear why oxsat is low, even wildly fluctuating, in COVID patients who do not develop pneumonia, or even severe respiratory symptoms. There seem to even be cases where low oxsat is the only meaningful symptom, which is plain bizarre.

Which would point more to PVFS as the critical factor, rather than ARDS. Would be worth comparing, but with the SARS-1 it's more difficult as respiratory symptoms are nearly universal. COVID will be more likely to settle that.

alktipping and Amw66 like this.
  5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)