1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Fatigue as the unconscious refusal of the demands of late capitalism, 2021, Diserholt

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Dolphin, Oct 12, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Diserholt, A. Fatigue as an unconscious refusal of the demands of late capitalism. Psychoanal Cult Soc (2021). https://doi.org/10.1057/s41282-021-00240-6

Abstract

This paper explores the function of fatigue in today’s society by drawing on popular culture and interviews conducted as part of a doctoral research study with nine people suffering from chronic fatigue.

With a focus on the ideology of late capitalism, it examines how the emergence of fatigue might be one way of unconsciously refusing the demand for constant activity and presence found therein.

To this end, the paper relies on Lacanian psychoanalytic theory, turning around the notions of anorexia (as a refusal of a demand and an embodied disappearance), the drive, desire and mourning — showing how the subject’s refusal emerges on the intersection between the body and the social.

Keywords: fatigue; capitalism; refusal; anorexia; mourning

Free full text:
    https://repository.canterbury.ac.uk...e/226666/Blinded Manuscript Version 3 PDF.pdf

2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

:rofl:
    I thought perhaps Dolphin was cleverly making a snide but subtle commentary about the nature of this paper.
    But no, that is really how the journal
    Psychoanalysis, Culture & Society
    should be cited.

Screen Shot 2022-10-12 at 6.05.26 pm.png

I think the abbreviation says most of what needs to be said about this paper.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
    Mithriel, Sean, alktipping and 17 others like this.
  4. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This paper is almost word salad. I bet an AI could write a better paper about ME.

Actually, I attempted this is GPT-J 6B. In fact, it did. The prompt was "myalgic encephalomyelitis" and the computer wrote the rest. I bolded some phrases where the rhetoric is quote biomedical.
    Edit: This was the output from the first run. I didn't cherry-pick anything. I did tell it to write more after seeing the first half.

sneyz, Mithriel, alktipping and 11 others like this.
  5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

So I'm not sure how my refusal as a child to engage in the demands of late capitalism then matches with the relatively successful career I had in sales which I then had to give up as my ME got worse. I guess their view would be that in unconsciously denying my unconscious refusal led me to unconsciously ruin my career which was built on the idea of embracing, and benefiting from, the demands of late capitalism.

alktipping, Ariel, Michelle and 15 others like this.
  6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Sean, Ariel, Michelle and 11 others like this.
  7. Trish

I have just waded through the paper at high speed to get the gist of it. Basically she hasn't a clue what ME/CFS is. She seems to equate fatigue with a desire for sleep and have no clue about PEM which is only vaguely described in order to misintepret it. I think this is an example of why the name Chronic Fatigue Syndrome misleads so many people to equate ME/CFS with tiredness.

The whole thing is, as you say RedFox, word salad, and of the most idiotic, blinkered and insulting variety. She has twisted what the pwME told her to fit her daft theories. i think she has seriously abused the trust of the individuals she interviewed. I think this is a form of patient abuse.

It makes me despair at the state of acadamic study. That on the strength of this prejudiced drivel she gets a PhD and lectureship in psychology is very concerning. She'll be spreading this awful pernicious nastiness to new cohorts of students, probably for the next 40 years.

I don't think she should be allowed to get away with this without academic level challenge. One for Prof. Brian Hughes to tackle perhaps, if anyone is in touch with him. He hasn't been on the forum for quite a while. And @dave30th and @Joan Crawford.

Snow Leopard, Mithriel, Sean and 18 others like this.
  8. RedFox

Agreed. Skimmed a few pages before I reached the limit of how much I could roll my eyes :). This paper is such garbage it should be retracted. I should dig into the sleep section to see how laughable it is. We all know it's not wanting to sleep. It's sleeping 10 hours and feeling like you slept one. If only I could sleep for *pulls out calculator* 80 hours a day! Then I'd be fine!

alktipping, Ariel, Hutan and 8 others like this.
  9. Trish

10. BrightCandle

BrightCandle Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My apparent completely repressed childhood trauma somehow caught up with me 12 years into my career after I had been running my own business for 4 years very successfully. I gave up a very successful career I loved to live in poverty because of that darn completely unknown trauma. Its powerful stuff this psychiatrist is pedaling its good they can explain why my brain and body failed me. Shame the CBT didn't manage to help, or the exercise, now I think about it the exercise did really make me a lot worse!

11. RedFox

I read the chapters on sleep. I can't comment much on it because I don't even understand it! It's incomprehensible.

oldtimer, alktipping, Ariel and 5 others like this.
  12. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is a Lacanian exploration ! Which means the work only exists within the terms of Lacan's set of theories about how the world, including the human mind, is. That Diserholt doesn't concern herself with the reality of ME/CFS for patients, nor with medical science is of no consequence for the Lacanian perspective because those are just artifacts to be interpreted. We are talking about Freudian interpretations of illness and illness behaviour matched with er um ... sub Marxist Historic-Dialetic Materialism ???

Jacques Marie Émile Lacan and if you want a really painful exploration: Lacan, psychoanalysis and the left

oldtimer, alktipping, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  13. Trish

If she'd stayed within the rarefied academic world of Lacanian nonsense I wouldn't be so worried. But she's now teaching psychology students, many of whom will end up as therapists, educational psychologists, teachers etc. It's so irresponsible to let someone so prejudiced spread her nonsense to people who will be in a position of care for sick people. I can only hope her colleagues don't share her views and can counter her influence.

14. Tia

Tia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

15. Tia

I'm surprised. I remember talking to a friend, who was doing his phd in psychology at Cambridge Uni, about Lacan (I studied Lacan in quite a lot of depth as part of my English Lit studies), he said that Lacan had no place in modern psychology and hadn't done for years. I thought psychology had moved on.

16. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Diserholt's Linked In page says she lecturing at Strathclyde but her name doesn't come up on the staff lists there, although she has a couple of shared authorships with current staff.

There is this: Lacan in Scotland

Lou B Lou and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  17. Tia

Why does it say 2022 in the title to this thread? It looks like the paper came out in 2021?

alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  18. Trish

You're right, and the tweet I replied to was from a year ago.
    I'll correct the date.

alktipping, Ariel, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  19. cassava7

cassava7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

20. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ah, yes, fatigue, famously did not exist before capitalism. Of course. Very smart analysis. You feel the genius radiating from it.

oldtimer, ukxmrv, RedFox and 14 others like this.