1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Fantastic redesign of hot water bottle for pain relief

Discussion in 'Home adaptations, mobility and personal care' started by Amw66, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Annamaria, DokaGirl, mango and 8 others like this.
  2. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well good luck with that! I've been looking for years for high-waisted knickers. Haven't managed to find anything that comes up as far as my waist. It's all thongs or hipsters or any weird combination you can think of. I've searched "Granny knickers" :oops: and even that didn't bring up anything useful. Help! :arghh:

DokaGirl, hellytheelephant and Trish like this.
  3. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Try Marks & Spencer. I bought some high-waisted plain white knickers about a month ago, was overly-pessimistic about the size I needed, and ended up with 4 pairs for a fiver which would fit a hippo. And I may be overweight, but I'm a long way from being a hippo.

4. ladycatlover

I have - the elastic bits round legs are too tight for me. :cry: Likewise John Lewis. I keep them in my drawers (as in chest of, rather than knickers!) for emergency use only. What I'd like is the old fashioned french knickers that were made a little like the old fashioned games shorts I had in school, shaped more like short culottes. Going to have to try find a pattern on eBay and make my own I guess! ;)

5. ladycatlover

@Arnie Pye, funny you should mention Hippo... When I was a little girl most of my family had animal names. My Mum was a hippo! :oops: Dad was a giraffe as he was tall and thin. I was a little red squirrel (I had a red dressing gown). I think I'd qualify as a hippo now. :laugh:

6. ladycatlover

They should do them shaped for shoulders for people with frozen shoulders!

DokaGirl, Sarah94, Amw66 and 4 others like this.
  7. Arnie Pye

8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Reading this thread with only half attention, I thought, why would @ladycatlover want her knickers shaped for shoulders.

9. Arnie Pye

Have you considered buying boxer shorts for men and just stitching up the front? I don't know how good the fit would be since women have bigger bums than men, but it might be worth the experiment.

10. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Have you tried Sloggi?

https://www.justsloggi.co.uk/sloggi-maxi-ladies

The only brand that work for me (although I like the 'midi' versions). Also, they put the label on the outside with a single stitch so it can simply be unpicked, so they're great for those with skin sensitivities.

11. Ebb Tide

Ebb Tide Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hi, ladycatlover, there is an old fashioned outfitters in the next town to me which sells 'sensible' underwear. I have to go back there to the dentists in a couple of weeks so I could investigate. My mum prefers the sort you mention and I think she did find some a while ago. I will ask her.

12. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

13. JemPD

@Amw66 this is a brilliant invention I hope it become widely available soon.
    @Trish I was told cold was needed for my frozen shoulder not heat?

14. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I like the look of the ones on the second link. They look pretty comfy. I usually go for M&S basic big knickers or Sloggi.

15. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like you bought my size ;)

16. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

17. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Did you mean me? @ladycatlover is the one with the frozen shoulder.
    I tend to think of using cold for things that feel hot and inflamed and swollen, like a sprained ankle, and heat for something painful. I think it's probably a case of what works for the individual, and nothing too extreme.

ladycatlover, DokaGirl and Arnie Pye like this.
  18. JemPD

oh yes sorry lol it's cos you mentioned knickers shaped like shoulders & that made me laugh so I got confused haha my poor brain :rofl:

ladycatlover, DokaGirl and Arnie Pye like this.
  19. JemPD

Yeah I agree.... I only asked because I had frozen shoulder a few yrs ago & osteopath told me cold only as heat wouldn't help the inflammation... but I hated the cold it made me tense up which made it worse so I never put anything on it.

20. feeb

feeb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Big Bloomers Company is my secret weapon for big bloomers ;)

https://www.thebigbloomerscompany.co.uk/

They're very soft and comfortable. No labels on the garments to scratch you, either.

I haven't tried their briefs, but I have their anti-chafing slip shorts and their pull-on bras, and they have the most incredible amount of stretch to them. I've actually lost four dress sizes this year and everything still fits in exactly the same way as when I was bigger!