1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Exploring the scope of homoeopathy in combating the unfortunate consequences of post-COVID-19 survivors based on non-COVID conditions, 2021, Dixit

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Andy, Oct 28, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

Objectives
    The long-term consequences of COVID-19 survivors care and post-coronavirus infection are not yet well understood. The review aims to see whether homoeopathy can help COVID-19 survivors recover from its consequences and improve their quality of life.

Content
    A systematic search of published articles for post-COVID sequelae and the impact of Homoeopathy were conducted. For the literature search, the major electronic bio-medical database PubMed/MEDLINE was used. In addition, supplementary searches were conducted through the references of those published articles.

Summary
    A total of 113 records were identified of which 61 studies included for this review. Homoeopathy is effective in the treatment of mental disorders including anxiety and depressive disorder (ADD), some research studies have found, although systematic reviews disagree. Likewise, some medical societies denounce homoeopathy for pain management; other literature shows that it can be used to treat pain effectively. Homoeopathy can aid in the treatment of cardiovascular diseases, as Crataegus, a homoeopathic medication, was found to be just as effective as a standard angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor and diuretic treatment for minor cardiac insufficiency. The outcomes for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS), Influenza, and Acute Respiratory Tract Infections (ARTIs) are also promising.

Outlook
    Based on the results of homoeopathy in non-COVID conditions, it can be thought of in the management of post-COVID-19 outcomes. Consequently, we propose that while investigating post-COVID-19 patient rehabilitation, homoeopathic management may be included as part of the follow-up route and as much data as possible in the context of homoeopathy should be collected, so that in future, the role of homoeopathy in dealing with it can be better demonstrated.

Highlights

• – The long-term consequences of post coronavirus infections are poorly understood.

• –The aim of this review is to understand how Homoeopathy may aid COVID 19 survivors in regaining function and improving their quality of life.

• – Based on non-COVID conditions, Homoeopathy has the potential to play an important role in the treatment of post-COVID 19 survivor complaints such as psychiatric illness, pain management, fatigue syndrome, and cardiovascular complications.
    Paywall, https://www.degruyter.com/document/doi/10.1515/jcim-2021-0200/html

Hutan, Barry, Starlight and 1 other person like this.
  2. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So, an imaginary treatment for an imaginary illness. At least it wouldn't cause harm like GET!

alktipping, CRG, Barry and 6 others like this.
  3. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Over twenty five years ago, when I was still working, I foolishly allowed my then line manager to pressure me into seeing her homeopath.

There were so many red flags: the practitioner insisted that the treatment would work better if I did not know what he was prescribing, so the tinctures could only be purchased from him; my symptoms getting better was a sign that the treatment was working, but then also my symptoms getting worse was a sign the treatment was working; similarly my symptoms remaining unchanged could be also a sign of success; there were frequent changes to the prescription as it was claimed different things worked at different stages of the treatment, requiring frequent further purchases from the practitioner.

I am willing to believe that the practitioner was convinced he was acting in my best interests, even though regular prescription changes were also in his own financial interest, it was just the logic he used was so circular as to make it impossible to evaluate his ‘predictions’ rationally.

Of the various alternative interventions I tried in those desperate first few years after diagnosis, my feelings about homeopathy were that unlike shiatsu or osteopathy etc it did not even leave me with a transient feel good factor while it was happening.

Any research of homeopathy should require clear cut predictions about the effect of each individual prescription, as well as looking at it as an entire process.

Arnie Pye, Hutan, Milo and 11 others like this.
  4. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Except for the harm to your finances

5. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ghouls trying to make money off of ill people.

6. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Been there done that.

I comfort myself you can only talk credibly about anything if you have been close to it and had a good look.

I think it can be harmful because like all kinds of belief systems which rebel against reality, including BPS ideation about ME, homeopathy can contribute to denial and the kind of "positive" thinking which leads one to break pacing and cause crashes which can cause a worse prognosis long term.

I found homeopathy had absolutely no physical effect whatsoever, despite the projections of the practitioner and no psychological benefit because I was already becoming cynical and jaded about the alternative health scene, so my belief was not altered by the spiel.

I tried it simply to find out what was involved and whether it had any beneficial effects at all and feel it had none.

I got far more out of Bach flower remedies but that was because I put far more into them, in the sense of imagination, plus they taste of brandy which is a lot more appealing than chalk imho and induces a tiny reaction to the alcohol. I was willing to believe they might have a herbal pharmacological basis but I dont think they do.

Homeopathy sets out to bamboozle the participant, with the idea of administering "like for like". The dilution effects of "potentising" remedies means it only makes sense as a kind of sympathetic magic which some justify as beneficial due to the placebo effect.

So funding homeopathy studies for longcovid is tantamount to saying longcovid is amenable to psychological therapy which is the same kind of rationale employed by those who propose it can be treated effectively with talking therapies.

Yes, state of mind can make a difference to experiences of all kinds but there is only so much it can do in the face of medical reality which is why faith healing is not regarded as a safe treatment for terminal diseases like cancer. It may make people feel euphoric about dying but it wont effect a cure.

I dont think that is good enough. I think we should be looking for cures.

Furthermore I think that homeopathy and BPS have a great deal in common in the way they are both fig leaves for intellectual arrogance which dismisses patients accounts of their own symptoms.

This is not based on a balanced scientific outlook but is more a legacy of ancien régime attitudes masquerading as science.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
    FMMM1, Hutan, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  7. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Who funds this stuff?

FMMM1, Milo, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Homeopathic organisations, I guess. It's published in:
    Journal of Complementary and Integrative Medicine

alktipping, Mithriel, Barry and 2 others like this.
  9. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Homeopathy is recognised as a real medical discipline in India - which is where the authors are based. It's just a desk review so no real costs in putting this study together but Indian research funds go into this area. https://www.nhp.gov.in/homeopathy_mty I'm afraid the homeopathy belief system chimes with some of the prevailing political attitudes in India in the same way that Mao's Chinese Medicine fantasy has infected Chinese medical/political perspectives.

10. Samuel

Samuel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

so, in addition to being forced to keep track of life sciences, medicine, rhetoric, medical politics of various types, misopathy, activism strategies and progress, national politics, uk politics, usa agency politics, rational ignorance, propaganda, eager skepto-idiots who are fed propaganda, sympathetic magic, one's own disease which one is told does not exist, medicines, getting food, services that do not exist for you, things like collusion between payers and providers, corrupt journals, crimes against humanity legislation, human rights community crumbling, science crises, logical fallacies, status of placebo research, empire building, philosophy of science, bogus philosophy of mind, history, and a whole lot more i probably missed, ...

... we are also forced to keep track of geopolitics. could use a break.

Skycloud, TiredSam, CRG and 5 others like this.
  11. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My response to the abstract: “You’ve got to be kidding me”

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  12. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  13. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Too easy. Not even going there.

Trish and Peter Trewhitt like this.