1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Exploration of the idea of a register of patient advocates

Discussion in 'Advocacy Projects and Campaigns' started by Andy, May 27, 2022.

1. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Exactly @Binkie4, well said. And, this applies to everything I do, even when it's just washing the dishes. Which for myself, and doubtless others with ME is like an athletic event. Apologies for the digression. But, I think Binkie4 has explained this very well.

I think publicizing one's interest in being involved is a good idea, but the downside may be that one could become a target.

2. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wanted to reply a while ago but can't find my drafted comments ATM so apologies for just popping in.

I just was reminded of the idea that it could be helpful to have a counterpart of a register of patients advocates, that is a register of possibilities to get involved in research and public health, both on an international and a national level

Ravn and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  3. MSEsperanza

The following are just some thoughts in no particular order:

I realize that it makes sense to coordinate involvement with national patient organizations / charities.

On the other hand, S4ME provides an exceptional space for international co-working on patient involvement.

For me, this forum is the only accessible social medium to discuss research and co-work in a meaningful way.

I can't do facebook, WhatsApp etc., these are too confusing for me.

Ravn, NelliePledge and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  4. MSEsperanza

I realize that S4ME now urgently needs more volunteers for just running the forum. But if we manage to get more vounteers and continue being a space where science and pwME meet, it could be worthwhile to consider the idea how the forum could 'proactively' contribute to research?

I liked the 'running summaries' by staff members on the discussions on the draft NICE guideline.

Perhaps forum members could qualify as S4ME representatives for patiennt involvement in research by volunteering to do running summaries of threads that discuss research papers or discussions on research methodology?

Those patient advocates could co-work on the forum with members who are not able to be involved on a regular basis, and they could also co-ordinate the work with patient organizations.

Maybe unrealistic because if I remember correctly there weren't too many applications on the forum's volunteer positions. But I'm aware of a couple of (relatively) newer members who often bring some structure to discussions threads. Perhaps they even would like to do running summaries on a few threads if they were asked?

Running summaries of discussions on relevant research and methodology would also be helpful if we want point researchers, clinicians etc to our critique and suggestions.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2022
    Snow Leopard, Ravn and Peter Trewhitt like this.