1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

ExFACTR Study: Exploring the Feasibility of ACT for Children and young people with CFS/ME ... in prep. for an RCT. Crawley et al. Recruiting Jan 2021

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, Dec 19, 2020.

1. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I missed this thread. I have just seen this study come up elsewhere. Does anyone thing this name is actually quite offensive and not really suitable?

2. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That has never stopped them in the past.

3. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's true, but this name is actually quite sadistic.

NelliePledge, Trish and MEMarge like this.
  4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

5. It's M.E. Linda

It's M.E. Linda Senior Member (Voting Rights)

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/academic-child-health/research/research/cfsme/exact-study/

In this link it says:

“This has informed the subsequent study......”

Peter Trewhitt and Andy like this.
  6. Joan Crawford

Joan Crawford Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"There is a movement towards the more psychological use of recovery as being what we would term adjusting ."

Spot on - there is a world of difference between feeling better about a situation (and adapting the best one can given the circumstances) and being better / recovered to at or near pre-illness levels of functioning (what patients want). The later is what clinical trails assessing 'treatments' need to demonstrate. Otherwise it's impossible to determine what is genuine change from placebo effects. This fudge (feeling better being substituted for being better) gets everywhere and it's disturbing.

Woolie, Amw66, JellyBabyKid and 11 others like this.
  7. It's M.E. Linda

It's M.E. Linda Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would also query the mention only of the 2007 Guidelines.

Surely, ethically, the study should advise participants (especially under 18)/parents/guardians that new Guidelines on ME/CFS are expected in less than 2 months time (April 2021)?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1361263620659765249

8. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ACT, I thought that was used for people with personality disorders to help them get their act together.

They just keep rebranding the same old tried & failed approach of trying to trick/cajole/coerce ME pts into doing more activity.

9. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They cite the dutch study, which had a post-hoc recovery threshold that was very, very low. To insist that they are fully recovered is ridiculous.

10. dave30th

Unfortunately, perhaps yes.

11. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It frankly seems to be the "innovation" here: give it a cool name. We know these people are obsessed with labels, it's only natural. They can only ever change the packaging anyway, there isn't much left to tweak when all you do is the same things in loops.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  12. dave30th

Does Ex-Factor mean something in the UK that's offensive? The study is stupid but I'm not sure what's offensive about the title? Is this like "muppets," which in the US only refers to the actual doll-muppets and is not an insult?

MEMarge, Peter Trewhitt and Andy like this.
  13. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

X Factor is a TV show where members of the public compete to win a prize for their performances on stage in front of an audience and voting panel, and they gradually get voted off by the TV audience.

I think the use of the title for a clinical trial with vulnerable children is problematic because it associates the treatment with a competition with winners and losers and how popular they are with the judges and TV audience. That to me seems to belittle the children's suffering and has all sorts of connotations of needing to perform, and succeed and being judged.

John Mac, MEMarge, Sid and 9 others like this.
  14. dave30th

Got it. thanks.

15. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

X factor also means something special, what people who have "it" bring. Very vague, whatever it means, but basically it's special, the secret ingredient that turns something normal into something extraordinary but that can't be described. Hence the name of the show.

Pretty sure it's that sense they mean here.

MEMarge, Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  16. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

That may be what they say they mean. What I think the kids are likely to think of is the TV show.

17. dave30th

I think you're saying the same thing. X-Factor means the same vague thing in the US but you rarely hear it. Maybe they say it in advertising? But the show has obviously made the phrase and meme more popular in UK--so really it's the meme as popularized thru the TV competition of who has the best or biggest X factor.

Add: But given that, what is the X-Factor? Is it that ACT is the X-factor that's going to get them well? I don't really get it.

18. AR68

AR68 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm absolutely certain you're correct re the context you're suggesting. Given Crawley (someone I've seen a couple of times in public meetings) it's the sort of vapid, shallow thing you'd expect.

The "couple of times" I refer to I was with two campaigners re the topic were all here for and we couldn't believe how lightweight she was. That might offend some but, frankly, that is what we thought I'm afraid.

19. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can anyone point me to where I can see where the funding for this is coming from ?-it's fairly urgent. Thanks

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  20. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)