1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Exercise Intolerance in Preload Failure Treated with Pyridostigmine (2018) Faria Urbina et al (mentions ME/CFS & POTS)

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Dolphin, May 8, 2018.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

rvallee, MEMarge, Hutan and 16 others like this.
  2. Seven

Seven Senior Member (Voting Rights)

FYI, NAtural alternative? Huperzine A. Have not done much research but might try this.

adambeyoncelowe likes this.
  3. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

are they saying there are people with ME who have this Preload Failure alongside ME or is it part of ME

MEMarge and adambeyoncelowe like this.
  4. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've tried Huperazine A for this reason -- no effect noted. Did it only for awhile and could really have had the wrong dosage, so YMMV.

5. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So did I. Three times with different doses. Each time I got a 'buzz' for a couple of days then crashed, stopped taking it and recovered to base line. Never had the courage to keep taking it through the crashes.

6. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The results provided in the abstract aren't the ones of interests - it is not peak cardiac output or VO2Peak that we are interested in, because it's possible that patients simply worked harder on the second test and achieved a higher heart rate. We're interested in stroke volume and O2 pulse. The lack of difference in ca-VO2Max leads to some doubt...

The rationale behind Pyridostigmine is the assumption that there is something limiting cholinergic activity of specific nerves which is hypothesised to be the cause of the preload failure.

The strange part to me is well, post-exercise hypotension is associated with increased parasympathetic activity in healthy normotensive people, so increasing cholinergic activity won't necessarily help in this case.

JaimeS and Ravn like this.
  7. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I feel like a little increased inflammation belongs in the "it may get worse before it can get better" category, because I feel better long-term from a little immune stimulation... but anything that makes you crash isn't a wait-and-see. :thumbsdown: You did the right thing.

Ravn likes this.