1. The 'News In Brief' post for w/c 8th October is now available Guest, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

European Parliament questions

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Sly Saint, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

upload_2017-11-23_17-6-32.png
    9 November 2017
    "Subject: Funding of research on ME/CFS

Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) affects more than one million people within the EU. This illness is characterised by persistent and excessive fatigue, post-exertional malaise, flu-like symptoms and cognitive impairments. Most sufferers are unable to lead a normal life. Those affected are predominately women.

Many of the symptoms of ME/CFS overlap with those of Lyme disease and fibromyalgia.

There are no established biological diagnostic tests for ME/CFS, nor are there any treatments.

Scientists from Newcastle and Cornell Universities have recently published data showing that mitochondrial energy production is impaired in ME/CFS, while mental health remains normal. Scientists at Stanford University have also recently published data showing activation of immune cells (clonal expansion) in ME/CFS, which is similar to that found in Lyme disease.

These studies highlight the need for biological research into ME/CFS. Recently, the American National Institute for Health (NIH) allocated funding to biological ME/CFS Research Centres and single ME/CFS projects.

1. Will the Commission review the recently published biological ME/CFS studies and fund expanded studies which include Lyme disease and fibromyalgia?

2. Will the Commission review the recent allocation of NIH funding for biological ME/CFS research and set out how it proposes to fund ME/CFS research?"

petrichor, svetoslav80, Inara and 9 others like this.
  2. Valentijn

Valentijn Not a moderator

I hate it when groups make it sound like ME is all about Lyme or pretty much the same thing as fibromyalgia. How can anyone answer a question which itself contains assumptions that can't be accepted?

Any idea who asked these questions?

petrichor, ahimsa, Inara and 13 others like this.
  3. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Alex Mayer (S&D) I think. I can't access the answer:
    http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do?type=WQ&reference=E-2017-006901&format=XML&language=EN

eta:
    http://www.europarl.europa.eu/meps/en/185637/ALEX_MAYER_home.html
    Female MEP(Labour) from UK (High Wycombe England)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    Wonko, ladycatlover and Valentijn like this.