1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Epstein-Barr virus–specific T cell therapy for progressive multiple sclerosis

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Dolphin, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Somebody with ME was excited by this on Twitter

https://insight.jci.org/articles/view/124714

Research ArticleClinical trialsNeuroscience Free access | 10.1172/jci.insight.124714

Epstein-Barr virus–specific T cell therapy for progressive multiple sclerosis
    Michael P. Pender,1,2,3 Peter A. Csurhes,1,4 Corey Smith,3 Nanette L. Douglas,1,2 Michelle A. Neller,3 Katherine K. Matthews,3 Leone Beagley,3 Sweera Rehan,3 Pauline Crooks,3 Tracey J. Hopkins,5 Stefan Blum,1,2 Kerryn A. Green,1,2 Zara A. Ioannides,1,2 Andrew Swayne,1,2 Blake T. Aftab,6 Kaye D. Hooper,1,2 Scott R. Burrows,1,3 Kate M. Thompson,7,8 Alan Coulthard,1,9 and Rajiv Khanna1,3
    First published November 15, 2018 - More info

Related video:
    Adoptive transfer of EBV-specific T cells in patients with multiple sclerosis
    Author's Take

Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a chronic inflammatory disease of the CNS characterized by progressive demyelination and disability. Epstein-Barr (EBV) virus has been implicated in the pathogenesis of MS, as high anti-EBV titers have been reported in patients with MS. In this episode, Michael Pender and Rajiv Khanna discuss the results of an open-label, dose escalation trial designed to evaluate the safety and efficacy of adoptively transferred in vitro-expanded EBV-specific T cells for patients with progressive MS. Clinical improvement was seen 7 of the 10 patients, with the greatest benefit for patients that received T cells with strong EBV reactivity. The results from this initial trial indicate that the EBV-specific adoptive T cell therapy is well tolerated and support further investigation of this approach in efficacy trials.

Simone, leokitten, MEMarge and 16 others like this.
  2. Dolphin

https://globenewswire.com/news-rele...reated-with-ATA190-an-Autologous-Epstein.html

MEMarge, Daisymay, Kalliope and 3 others like this.
  3. Londinium

Londinium Senior Member (Voting Rights)

New Scientist has a good overview here: https://www.newscientist.com/articl...-treatment-that-attacks-glandular-fever-virus

Some bits I found interesting:

This seemed redolent of the VanElzakker hypothesis regarding the vagus nerve.

For progressive MS patients, seemed to deal with both fatigue and cognitive impairment. Definitely worth noting however that this is a very small trial and would need replication.

Simone, MEMarge, Daisymay and 13 others like this.
  4. Londinium

Londinium Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To add: the study also cites this paper (that I hadn't seen before) that has the frankly astonishing fact:

If almost a third of multiple sclerosis patients are initially misdiagnosed with ME/CFS or general fatigue that raises an even bigger ethical issue with MUS practitioners' recommendation that, once an MUS diagnosis is made, no further medical testing should follow due to it being counterproductive. This means that somebody with MS could be dumped in the 'do not test' MUS bucket and incur significant physical injury should that delay the correct diagnosis.

Simone, MEMarge, ukxmrv and 13 others like this.
  5. Dolphin

It would be interesting to note the breakdown between the two categories. I have written to thousands of people who have enquired to an ME/CFS patient organisation, i.e. months or sometimes years after they first enquired. People sometimes get in touch to say they were re-diagnosed with something else. I'm not sure I recall that anyone said they were rediagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis.

Simone, Daisymay, Londinium and 3 others like this.
  6. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A friend of mine who I met through the local MEA group (back when they had local groups) was re-diagnosed with MS. Was originally dxd with ME by R H T Edwards of Liverpool Uni. After MS dx was able to obtain DLA, had always been refused when had the ME dx, despite physical condition not having changed. Sadly died a few years ago.

7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm not at all surprised by this. Bad guidelines that rely on loose criteria are bad for everyone. They create comparable numbers of false positives as false negatives, helping neither group in the end. In addition of course to blocking all access to mental health resources since patients understand the implications to their already sub-par medical care.

It's a stunning regression to pre-science medicine. What I'm surprised is how other disease advocacy organisations are not concerned by this, especially as the attempt to lump MS at least partly into MUS has started. If psychosocial ideologues get their way many MS patients will have delayed diagnosis, leading to serious deterioration. This will hurt their patients just as badly as it will hurt us and especially MS should be concerned considering that their own history is similar to ours.

Amw66, Hutan, ladycatlover and 3 others like this.
  8. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I know someone who works with one of the major MS charities. She says it's quite common for patients to initially be diagnosed with ME.

Similarly, if you search the forums for the MS charities, you find lots of these reports. There are plenty of people asking if they've got the right diagnosis or explaining how they were misdiagnosed.

It may just be that once their diagnosis changes, they leave ME circles and join MS circles instead, so we don't hear about it as often.

Hutan, ladycatlover, chrisb and 5 others like this.
  9. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It would be really great if they raised concerns about this. Sounds like something they really should be raising concerns about. The NICE guidelines are very much a huge part of this and the history of MS mirrors our own, just shifted by decades. They know what it leads to and how cruel it is.

I guess they don't have much extra resources but this sounds like a pretty low-effort thing to do when it directly impacts them in ways that can lead to serious permanent complications, especially with the overall MUS (or is it PPS now? or PDF? or FFS?) movement that will inevitably impact most MS patients but especially those with less common forms.

Meanwhile neurologists who will have to deal with the consequences are basically front and center arguing to regress science with the functional BS.

Amw66, Hutan, ladycatlover and 2 others like this.
  10. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It was about 1994 so attitudes may have changed now but when my friend first became ill her family hoped she "just" had ME like me and not MS. (She was more understanding and said there was not much to choose between the 2, though sadly, she is dead now so..)

It makes me wonder if ME has been so trivialised as CFS that it is seen as just a step before doctors realise they actually have a serious disease. MS is seen as such a tragedy by society - to the extent that MS charities have to tell people that it is not as serious as people think and can have a mild form - that patients tend to have a feeling of entitlement, maybe that a lot of people with recognised diseases have, we wouldn't know. So saying you have cancer or MS everyone feels you are seriously sick.

Trish, Amw66, Hutan and 1 other person like this.