1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Entire issue of Post Graduate Medical Journal (11/1978) devoted to ME

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Forbin, Jan 30, 2018.

1. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It didn't take long ... and I will be citing Streeton and Bell.

http://www.name-us.org/ResearchPage...latoryArticles/BellCirculatingBloodVolume.pdf

ABSTRACT. Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is an illness associated with severe activity limitation and a characteristic pattern of symptoms despite a relatively normal physical examination and routine laboratory evaluation. The recent description of delayed orthostatic hypotension in patients with CFS, and previous findings of reduced red blood cell (RBC) mass in other patients with orthostatic hypotension not known to have CFS, led us to measure RBC mass and plasma volume in 19 individuals (15 female, four male) with well characterized, severe CFS. RBC mass was found to be significantly reduced (p < 0.001) below the published normal range in the 16 women, being subnormal in 15 (93.8%) of them as well as in two of the four men. Plasma volume was subnormal in 10 (52.6%) patients and total blood volume was below normal in 12 (63.2%). The high prevalence and frequent severity of the low RBC mass suggest that this abnormality might contribute to the symptoms of CFS by reducing the oxygen-carrying power of the blood reaching the brain in many of these patients.

I am unsure if this was published in a peer reviewed journal. I am checking, and reading for details.

PS Journal of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Vol. 4(1) 1998 copyright 1998

MEMarge, alktipping, WillowJ and 4 others like this.
  2. alex3619

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  3. alex3619

I would like to add that both articles suggest low blood volume is part of the OI component of ME, and is a common finding in OI.

MEMarge, alktipping, WillowJ and 3 others like this.
  4. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would think it common in people who report excessive urination, which seems to be quite a lot of us. (Unless we drink an equivalent amount of fluid)

5. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

[University of Miami - 2009]

Clin Sci (Lond). 2009 Oct 19;118(2):125-35. doi: 10.1042/CS20090055.
    Chronic fatigue syndrome: illness severity, sedentary lifestyle, blood volume and evidence of diminished cardiac function.
    Hurwitz BE1, Coryell VT, Parker M, Martin P, Laperriere A, Klimas NG, Sfakianakis GN, Bilsker MS.

Abstract
    The study examined whether deficits in cardiac output and blood volume in a CFS (chronic fatigue syndrome) cohort were present and linked to illness severity and sedentary lifestyle. Follow-up analyses assessed whether differences in cardiac output levels between CFS and control groups were corrected by controlling for cardiac contractility and TBV (total blood volume). The 146 participants were subdivided into two CFS groups based on symptom severity data, severe (n=30) and non-severe (n=26), and two healthy non-CFS control groups based on physical activity, sedentary (n=58) and non-sedentary (n=32). Controls were matched to CFS participants using age, gender, ethnicity and body mass. Echocardiographic measures indicated that the severe CFS participants had 10.2% lower cardiac volume (i.e. stroke index and end-diastolic volume) and 25.1% lower contractility (velocity of circumferential shortening corrected by heart rate) than the control groups. Dual tag blood volume assessments indicated that the CFS groups had lower TBV, PV (plasma volume) and RBCV (red blood cell volume) than control groups. Of the CFS subjects with a TBV deficit (i.e. > or = 8% below ideal levels), the mean+/-S.D. percentage deficit in TBV, PV and RBCV were -15.4+/-4.0, -13.2+/-5.0 and -19.1+/-6.3% respectively. Lower cardiac volume levels in CFS were substantially corrected by controlling for prevailing TBV deficits, but were not affected by controlling for cardiac contractility levels. Analyses indicated that the TBV deficit explained 91-94% of the group differences in cardiac volume indices. Group differences in cardiac structure were offsetting and, hence, no differences emerged for left ventricular mass index. Therefore the findings indicate that lower cardiac volume levels, displayed primarily by subjects with severe CFS, were not linked to diminished cardiac contractility levels, but were probably a consequence of a co-morbid hypovolaemic condition. Further study is needed to address the extent to which the cardiac and blood volume alterations in CFS have physiological and clinical significance.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19469714

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    alktipping, WillowJ, ahimsa and 4 others like this.
  6. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In 1997, Simpson also wrote about changes to blood shape in fatiguing illnesses, and how it might be a proxy measure of fatigue: http://orthomolecular.org/library/jom/1997/articles/1997-v12n02-p069.shtml

Perhaps more interesting is that he also mentions that medical literature as early as 1921 was calling for vague terms like fatigue and malaise to be dropped. It's interesting how, a century later, they are still firmly with us (and causing all kinds of problems with subjectivity).

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  7. Paradoxfloss

Paradoxfloss Established Member

It’s so frustrating... here he is basically acknowledging that ME isnt CFS... his whole BPS schtick was never designed for or directed at us. Shit really got out of hand and wasted 30 years of viable research time ‍♀️

8. Paradoxfloss

This is very interesting in relation to the issues with muscle spasms, seizure like contractions and even the CCI issues recently illustrated by Jen Brea & Jeff... type 2 muscles stabilise the spine and are heavily dependant on mitochondrial function. My physio has commented that these slow twitch stabilising muscles in my spine don’t seem to be working. This is also a neurological issue.

andypants, Amw66, Webdog and 3 others like this.
  9. Paradoxfloss

There are mitochondrial/metabolic issues in the muscles though. They just werent a type previously known and able to be recognised. Eg poor microcirculation of oxygen, abnormal metabolism in the plasma, calcium ions abnormalities etc

[I see this was established further down in the thread ]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    Amw66 and Inara like this.
  10. Paradoxfloss

In general regarding hypovolemia, I’m aware it’s also a symptom of deconditioning. So it’s difficult to assess whether it’s causative or occurs as a consequence of the illness (my feeling is the latter). I have a vague recollection of reading that it may also be a compensatory mechanism, which somehow alleviates the metabolic and aerobic problems

11. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Do you remember where you read this or any further information that would help me find out?

12. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It seems muscle weakness is a well-known symptom in neuropathies (especially (inherited) peripheral neuropathies) which includes fast fatiguability. As a consequence, orthopaedic issues are not uncommon, like scoliosis and other consequences for joints, tendons etc. due to too weak and/or fast fatiguable muscles.
    So, in some, it could be a neurological issue.

Webdog likes this.
  13. alex3619

I have not looked into this, so I could be wrong, but it would be surprising if the extent of hypovolemia in ME, enough to often cause or be associated with heart preload failure, is found in deconditioning. Nobody doubts deconditioning can occur in ME, especially with the bed bound, but its like a candle to a forest fire. If deconditioning were argued as the main problem in most patients, then they fail to explain how we can be fine one day, deconditioned the next, and some time later fine again after a single day. Deconditioning does not have an on/off switch like that.

The part of deconditioning that most concerns me in ME is not muscle deconditioning, its bone deconditioning. There are too many bone disorders occurring in long term bedbound patients. Osteo- problems are not easy to reverse. Whereas many ME patients will automatically increase activity when they improve.

Inara, Mithriel, andypants and 4 others like this.
  14. weyland

weyland Established Member

Edwards work is later referenced in the early 90s by Professor Mowbray. It seems he was pretty convinced that ME muscle is normal and it’s actually a neuromuscular problem that produces Ramsay’s primary (and objective) sign of the disease. This is the view I subscribe to, it makes a lot more sense.

I think the autoimmune hypothesis is crashing and burning. I think this second, “rediscovery” of the metabolic hypothesis will also crash and burn. We’ll only be left with the obvious, that ME is an inflammatory neurological disease.

E4A32367-D538-45C7-BD78-048C5472CD61.jpeg
    D65DCA5B-0B00-41DE-8D01-3B462816D854.jpeg

Inara, MEMarge, Pyrrhus and 1 other person like this.
  15. weyland

weyland Established Member

There is another form seen in the US outbreak in Texas that was largely biased towards dysautonomia symptoms that led the investigator towards the idea that it was very similar (to Iceland disease in his example) but different.

I think in reality all these investigators were highly focused on the presenting symptoms of the early stage of their sudden onset, but if you looked at the patients that didn’t recover years down the road it would be harder to tell them apart.

Pyrrhus and Lidia like this.
  16. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In MS, individual patients have a wide range of symptoms depending on which nerves are affected by the disease. This is apparent in the early stages and in the more mildly affected. In contrast, as the disease progresses all patients begin to look the same. It is felt that this is because the brain is overwhelmed and can no longer compensate for the damage.

It is very likely that the same thing happens in ME. If mitochondria are damaged in specific tissues that will be where the disease is most obvious.

I am having trouble explaining what I mean but mild or early disease all different, later or severe disease more homogeneous.

Inara, andypants, MEMarge and 5 others like this.