1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Elevated ATG13 in serum of pwME stimulates oxidative stress response in microglial cells , 2022, Gottschalk et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Sly Saint, Oct 1, 2021.

1. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. SNT Gatchaman

From the Simmaron Research blog: Cleaning Crisis? Is Defective Mitochondrial Cleanup Impairing Energy Production in ME/CFS? (Sep 2022).

Wonko, Lilas, sebaaa and 5 others like this.
  3. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From the Simmaron Research blog: Cleaning Crisis? Is Defective Mitochondrial Cleanup Impairing Energy Production in ME/CFS? (Sep 2022):

This is interesting but, after all the effort that has been put into highlighting the methodological problems and unscientific reasoning applied to BPS research, I wish people would be more careful in their reporting of recovery anecdotes. I’ve not read this story on HR, but it is misleading to say that “an MTOR inhibitor significantly helped at least one long-term ME/CFS patient”. All we can know is that one patient reported that they had recovered after taking rapamycin, an MTOR inhibitor. But without clinical trials we cannot know whether rapamycin helped.

Something to add to your Something in the Blood blog @Simon M?

FMMM1, Wonko, Mfairma and 7 others like this.
  4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I hope they have good reason to hype this up to this level.

"We’re onto something big: a treatable pathway for PEM. The implications are huge. Not only do we believe the chemical pathway involving the ATG-13 protein is a culprit in PEM, we believe it can be targeted for drugs. There is hope for treatment!"

Hutan, FMMM1, cassava7 and 6 others like this.
  5. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They found something new in a small study...that a whopping two people with ME have elevated levels of ATG13 and that microglia don't like it. This is a brainstorm, not a real hope. While their research appears novel, all scientists should present their findings realistically, especially if they're a non-profit soliciting donations.

A reasonable threshold for a "real hope" of treating PEM would be a drug entering human trials.

MEMarge, sebaaa, cfsandmore and 7 others like this.
  6. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

They don’t even mention it’s 2 people until the last paragraph. Unless they have work in progress that indicates this is going to be shown to apply in larger numbers it seems naive to use such language.

MEMarge, sebaaa, cfsandmore and 8 others like this.
  7. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Did anyone get a reply about this inconsistency?

Below is figure 3.A as used in the paper:
    upload_2022-12-28_19-16-15.png

And this is my own plot of the data shown in table 1:
    upload_2022-12-28_19-16-38.png

EndME, Hutan, Andy and 1 other person like this.
  8. ME/CFS Skeptic

This is the sample size determination as stated in the paper.

"For 99% confidence interval and 0.05 significance, our sample size calculation is n = z2×p (1− p) / ε2 = 1.282×0.99 (1− 0.99) / 0.05^ 2 = 7. Z is the z score, which is 1.28 for power 0.8; p is the population proportion. For 99% confidence interval, p will be 0.99; ε is the margin of error = 0.05. Therefore, throughout the study we selected at least n = 7 per group when comparing results between HC and ME groups."
    To me this does not make sense. A power calculation requires an effect size.

The author probably misinterpreted a formula he found online or in a textbook: p should be a proportion of the population, e.g how many people have a disease. Setting p to 99% because one wanted a confidence interval of 99% seems like a quite a big statistical misunderstanding.

If the authors conducted a proper power calculation, they would probably found that only incredibly large effects can be reliable detected with 7 participants per group.

EndME, cfsandmore, sebaaa and 5 others like this.
  9. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

To me it seems like outliers have been removed in their plot, while you've kept them in yours. If you filter out the top and bottom participants from both groups (and use geom_quasirandom/play around with how wide your groups can be, and change to theme_classic) I think they will look the same.

Edit: Agree the power calculation is off. Sure it's difficult with omics data when we know so little about what is "normal" of what we are measuring but to get a sample size then go with Hutans suggestion (though I've been taught at least 30, not 20).

Last edited: Dec 28, 2022
  10. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Did you email them?

11. ME/CFS Skeptic

No did look into it at the time of publication.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  12. SNT Gatchaman

13. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member