1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Effects of mirthful laughter on pain tolerance: A randomized controlled investigation, 2019, Lapierre et al

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Paywall, https://www.bodyworkmovementtherapies.com/article/S1360-8592(19)30118-4/fulltext
    Scihub, https://sci-hub.se/10.1016/j.jbmt.2019.04.005

2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Only reading the abstract, but:

That seems a bit of an odd way of phrasing it. How bad was this documentary?!

3. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No control participants...

4. Sarah94

The documentary was boring and they've become more fed up of their pain whilst watching it.

Edit: just realised they are healthy patients. OK, so the documentary was so boring that it made them in a bad mood and so less tolerant of pain?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    MEMarge, dangermouse, Mij and 2 others like this.
  5. Sarah94

How could someone do such a bad study (I'm referring to both the design and the conclusions which they drew). These people surely have a science degree. My degree was only like 25% science, and this paper could have been used as an example of glaringly bad research in, like, one of our first classes on evaluating research, and I guarantee you that everyone in the class would have seen problems in it.

6. Russell Fleming

Russell Fleming Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is it laughter than might do it - or is it the distraction? When I think of all the other distractions I employ to take my mind off the [include symptom of your choice] they all perform similarly depending of course on the severity of the symptom at the time. Sure, I can laugh myself into a peeing situation and I won't feel no pain - although laughter does seem to do unpleasant things to my body too especially in my head and it can affect my ability to stand... - but I'm not about to order a supply of laughing gas :)

7. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From the abstract :

When did "chronic pain" become a separate condition in its own right? It doesn't usually manifest without a reason. How much time, effort, and resources do doctors actually spend on identifying the cause? They just label the patient in various nasty ways and kick them out the door.

8. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is a non-sequitur, because they found no difference in pain tolerance to the blunt force after the comedy.

This is important as it shows that the reduction in pain tolerance has nothing to do with the induced soreness in the limb due to exercise. Hence it is possible to assume that no drop in pain tolerance is the expected result and there is something peculiar/uncontrolled bias going on in the documentary group. The study curiously was a crossover design with a single investigator that performed all the experiments, which could have biased the result. There was no control measure of altered pain sensitivity independent of the video watching.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  9. Michelle

Michelle Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Random thoughts (beyond "oh FFS" and problems others have already mentioned):

Chronic pain is not the same as acute pain. And the VAS is mostly pointless with chronic pain. Helpful for triaging acute pain but by and large measure function is more important with regard to chronic pain.

How does one measure whether laughter is "mirthful" or not?

Alas, Chronic Pain Syndrome is a diagnosis (ICD-10 code G89.4). My own clinician uses for my unexplained chronic wide-spread burning pain (i.e. I don't have a clue what is causing this so let's just use this diagnosis...). The argument for its use as a diagnosis in its own right has been that chronic pain causes neuroplastic effects (I'm probably not phrasing that correctly but then the folks using this line of thinking are probably a wee bit muddled in their own thinking...:whistle:) that become a disease in and of itself regardless of what is causing the pain, though MUS reinforce the need for greater psychosocial emphasis in its treatment.

MEMarge, alktipping, Mij and 6 others like this.
  10. Arnie Pye

I do know what is causing a lot of my chronic pain. I had surgery in 2003 that massively reduced my chronic pain in the area that was operated on, and the surgery still has benefits nearly 17 years later. I do get pain where I was operated on but it is a shadow of what it was in the 70s, 80s, 90s and the early 2000s. Nobody will look into investigating the other areas I get pain even though they are caused by the same problem I had in the area I was operated on. I've been told I'm just imagining all my ill-health and chronic pain, it's all in my head, there is nothing wrong with me etc.

11. Michelle

Michelle Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, as a kid I got the same thing. "Growing pains" or that it was psychosomatic. Thankfully as an adult, my PCPs (aka GPs) have always taken my pain seriously. They just don't know what's causing it. Diagnoses have ranged from Fibromyalgia to Peripheral Neuropathy to hEDS to Chronic Pain Syndrome to, of course, Pain, non-specific. I think they tend to just pick whichever one insurance is most likely to pay for treatment of (things like physical therapy or pain medications). While I'd much rather my clinician simply state "I don't know" when he or she doesn't, insurance is less accepting of that answer. Which is one of the reasons why we're in such a muddle about things like Fibromyalgia and hEDS, imho.

12. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good grief this is pathetic.

How does that even pass peer review? Chronic pain studied via acute pain in healthy people? Why not actual patients?
    Did not change = favorably influenced? Down is up?

Aspirations are a valid conclusion now? This is deeply unserious.

Cheshire, MEMarge, shak8 and 9 others like this.
  13. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I haven't read the paper, and I'm not going to but, er, what's ''mirthful laughter''. I mean here's a definition of mirth: amusement, especially as expressed in laughter. So isn't all laughter mirthful?

Cheshire, MEMarge, shak8 and 7 others like this.
  14. Arnie Pye

Perhaps it is an odd and very clumsy way of describing someone getting the giggles?

15. feeb

feeb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dunno. I laughed pretty hard reading this abstract but if I had to describe it I'd probably have called it "mirthless"

TiredSam, MEMarge, shak8 and 9 others like this.
  16. Sarah94

Trish, you should know better! :emoji_wink:Characters in Harry Potter are several times described as laughing mirthlessly.

E.g.
    "‘He’s got Dark powers the rest of us can only dream of!’ Pettigrew shouted shrilly. ‘How else did he get out of there? I suppose He Who Must Not Be Named taught him a few tricks!’ Black started to laugh, a horrible, mirthless laugh that filled the whole room. ‘Voldemort, teach me tricks?’ he said."

Plus think of Sirius laughing when he is captured after Pettigrew blows up the street...

I know I'm being facetious but I don't care because frankly any opportunity to quote harry potter...

17. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am fairly sure that 'mirthful laughter' does not have a precise scientific meaning.

Which doesn't bode well when combined in the same sentence as 'a randomized controlled investigation'.

But...surely mirth is something that only happens at certain types of festivities, where possibly large amounts of alcohol are consumed, so perhaps it could be defined in terms of someone's blood alcohol level?

MEMarge, shak8, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  18. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

What is unmirthful laughter - well I suppose sarcastic laughing isn’t jolly and mirthful. Maybe unmirthful laughter has an effect on chronic pain. A good dose of sarcasm.

MEMarge, shak8, Michelle and 9 others like this.
  19. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

And there's the hollow laugh.

MEMarge, shak8, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  20. dangermouse

dangermouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hmm, just when you thought you’d seen it all .. this is a joke, right?

MEMarge, shak8, alktipping and 3 others like this.