1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Education, education, education

Discussion in 'General Advocacy Discussions' started by obeat, Dec 30, 2018.

1. obeat

obeat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm not sure how this will work. I wondered if we could share ideas, initiatives, resources and information for educating doctors, scientists and allied health professionals. Hopefully there will be success stories.

Yessica, andypants, Trish and 4 others like this.
  2. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. pteropus

pteropus Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've noticed something, here in Australia, that might be useful globally.

Sometimes medical doctors have so much "authority", and/or a reluctance to research / think / go outside the box, or a need to stay within official guidelines,
    that they cling firmly to the official dogma that exercise and positive thinking will cure our hysteria.

Whereas allied health professionals (physiotherapists, osteopaths, nutritionists, exercise physiologists, optometrists, dentists etc) seem to be more open to the ME research.

even if these professionals only learn the basics (mitochondrial shutdown, immune, cardiovascular & neurological dysfunction, extreme fatigue, etc), they will probably discuss & share with some of their colleagues, and help create a bigger network of health professionals who "believe" in ME.

The influence of those early adopters, might help influence medical doctors to change their assumptions. (ie word of mouth might be more effective than a directive from above).

Examples i've read or heard : pwME going to a physiotherapist, for injury or exercise advice, and being warned to avoid aerobic exercise; to only attempt very gentle stretches; to learn about pacing with a heart rate monitor; or replacing 'exercise' with techniques to help calm the para/sympathetic nervous system. myself in a rehab hospital, where the rehab bloke urged me to do MORE physical exercise, but the occupational therapists were quietly urging me to rest a lot more, and reduce my physical exercise. my naturopath using a microscope to show me my deformed red blood cells, and finding supplements that help with inflammation nutrition etc.