1. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 1st March 2021 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Editorial: Autonomic markers, chronic fatigue syndrome, and post-exertion states, 2019, Friedberg

Discussion in 'BioMedical ME/CFS Research' started by Andy, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member & Outreach

Paywall, https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0022399919309055
    Scihub, https://sci-hub.se/10.1016/j.jpsychores.2019.109845

Michelle, shak8, rvallee and 8 others like this.
  2. Marco

Marco Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Seems like a reasonable idea although I doubt there's anything unique to find.

alktipping, Michelle, shak8 and 4 others like this.
  3. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The problem with measures of HRV is they are quite non-specific. A lack of fitness in general is a strong predictor of lower HRV. Sleep disruption and other factors can also alter HRV as discussed in the editorial.

The findings (across more than a handful of studies I have seen) tend to show lower HF, rather than a reduction in LF influence, which suggests lower parasympathetic activity, rather than increased sympathetic activity which lends further weight to the hypothesis that the HRV findings are primarily due to lower fitness/activity levels.

I agree. There have been a small number of studies already that have not found anything specific, likely due to significant within-group variation.

Friedburg cites the 'sustained arousal' model, but fails to note that the findings of higher catecholamines has only been found in adolescents by one research group and may reflect the social context of the testing (of ill adolescents), rather than be a generalised finding. Notably, this finding has not been replicated in adults.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    Michelle, Hutan, ScottTriGuy and 3 others like this.