1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Don't merge the assessments for PIP and ESA - April 2019

Discussion in 'Petitions' started by Sly Saint, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

UK Gov petition (ie at 10,000 Govt will respond)

currently 3567 signatures

(my addition: if you fail on the one test but were previously in receipt of both benefits, you would effectively be left with nothing, pending appeal.)

link here:
    https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/244329

2. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Signed, shared on FB and Twitter and sent some emails. Thank you very much @Sly Saint for alerting us to this very important petition.

I'd just like to add that since this is a Parliamentery Petition that only UK citizens can sign it.

3. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Hell..hath..no..fury... Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Signed. These people are getting on my tits. Sick to the back teeth of this system. I wish we could all escape it :(

Thank you @Sly Saint

feeb, alktipping, TiredSam and 5 others like this.
  4. JaneL

JaneL Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is it just me that actually likes the idea of having these two assessments merged?

Half as many forms to fill in, half as many face-to-face assessments, half as many potential mandatory reconsiderations, appeals and tribunals to endure... :thumbup:

alktipping and Trish like this.
  5. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merging the system only works if the assessments are fair and always produce the correct result.

The evidence suggests this is not the case.

The evidence suggest that this not being the case is deliberate policy.

So merging the 2 could, potentially, be disastrous for everyone who is not a multimillionaire or a government minister with offshore accounts.

Possibly.

6. Diluted-biscuit

Diluted-biscuit Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have mixed feelings on this. They already reassess ESA on the basis of a PIP assessment and visa versa sometimes so this just takes that further and won’t necessarily mean if you lose one you’ll lose both. On the other hand the system is utterly terrible and I’m always concerned they will make things worse.

Of course ultimately this will be happening anyway so we will find out if it’s better or worse.

7. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Also non UK citizens resident in the UK can sign Parliamentary petitions.

8. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Initially I thought the same except based my thinking on a positive outcome (ie having 'passed' the test on one you don't need to worry about the other). But the petition points out
    So they would have to somehow change the assessment to cover both issues, quite how I don't know but both assessments are pretty rubbish at what they are supposed to be testing in the first place.

eta: now at 3953

9. JaneL

JaneL Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well i’m certainly not a millionaire and I don’t have offshore accounts! But I do have family that I lean upon for financial support if necessary (and have done in the past) throughout the long appeals process. I realise I’m very fortunate in this respect and many will not be in this position.

I think the problem is not so much the merging of assessments but the fact that people are not being assessed fairly and large numbers are being turned down for benefits to which they are eligible. However I can see that while this is the case, merging the assessments will leave those who are most vulnerable at risk.

I have therefore decided to sign the petition.

10. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

At this point, I'd assume that any change the politicians want to implement is probably going to be harmful. I need a petition for 'Stop everything!'

JaneL, alktipping, Trish and 2 others like this.
  11. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

it is plain and simple cost cutting .as long as these tests are performed by companies seeking profit from dishonest government ministers who have created this absurd situation. were gps are not trusted to give out proper diagnosis or sick notes but private companies with much to gain can employ ignorant parasites with no actual experience in the many conditions that lead to long term disability ,they will continue to cause significant harm and deaths all to save money . I personally think the billions these private companies have leached from the taxpayers would have been better spent on biological research unravelling all the mysteries of the human body . because our medical knowledge is sadly still in the dark ages purveyors of false hope making money from the suffering of others .

Graham, JaneL, Wonko and 1 other person like this.