1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Does Dietary Coenzyme Q10 + Selenium Supplementation Ameliorate Clinical Outcomes by Modulating Oxidative Stress & Inflammation., 2022, Castro-Marrero

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Mar 3, 2022.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Full title: Does Dietary Coenzyme Q10 plus Selenium Supplementation Ameliorate Clinical Outcomes by Modulating Oxidative Stress and Inflammation in Individuals with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?

Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) is a neuroinflammatory, multifaceted chronic disorder of unknown cause. Accumulating data indicates a link between a redox imbalance, mitochondrial dysfunction, and inflammation status in ME/CFS. CoQ10 and selenium as effective antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agents have shown potential clinical implications in chronic diseases; however, their therapeutic benefits on ME/CFS remain elusive. This open-label exploratory study aimed to evaluate the effectiveness of combined CoQ10 plus selenium supplementation on clinical features and circulating biomarkers in ME/CFS.

Twenty-seven ME/CFS patients received an oral combination of 400 mg of CoQ10 and 200 µg of selenium daily for 8-weeks. The primary endpoint was patient-reported changes in outcome measures from baseline to 8 weeks post-intervention. Secondary endpoint included changes in circulating biomarkers from baseline to each participant. After an 8-week intervention, a significant improvement was found for overall fatigue severity (p = 0.021) and global quality of life (p = 0.002), while there was no significant effect on the sleep disturbances (p = 0.480) among participants. After 8-weeks’ intervention, there was significantly increased total antioxidant capacity, and there were reduced lipoperoxides levels from the participants (p < 0.0001 for both). Circulating cytokine levels decreased significantly (p < 0.01 for all), but with no significant changes on the CRP, FGF21, and NT-proBNP biomarkers after supplementation. Based on these findings, we hypothesized that long-term supplementation of combined CoQ10 and selenium may indicate a potentially beneficial synergistic effect in ME/CFS.

Paywall, https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/10.1089/ars.2022.0018

Lilas, Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  2. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not seen the article (behind paywall), but I hope they conclude that nothing can be concluded in such a small scale open labelled trial other than they have demonstrated a full double blinded trial would be feasible.

Hutan, DokaGirl, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  3. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It would be interesting, and perhaps progress to know what body systems these supplements are acting on.

Some pwME say CoQ10 helps with energy.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It can make your heart beat harder and make you feel wired-up if you take it for too long.

cfsandmore, Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  5. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

CoQ10 - Coenzyme Q10We have a discussion thread CoQ10. It includes some commentary about this team's earlier work.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.