1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Documentary on James Watson (on scientific advisory board of OMF)

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Denise, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Denise

Denise Senior Member (Voting Rights)

New documentary explores the 'complexities and contradictions' of James Watson

PBS is premiering a new documentary tonight [2 Jan 2019] about James Watson, the scientist who won the Nobel Prize in 1962 for his role in the research that revealed the structure of DNA. Watson went on to serve as the first director of the Human Genome Project and founded Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory. But in his later years, Watson began to spout offensive views. He was forced to leave his role as director of CSHL in 2007 after making racist remarks. In promotional materials, PBS says the film will explore Watson’s “signature achievements, complexities and contradictions, including his penchant for expressing unfiltered and objectionable points of view.”

Trailer

https://www.thirteen.org/programs/american-masters/american-masters-decoding-watson-trailer-qwnijt/

New York Times article:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/01/science/watson-dna-genetics-race.html

2. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought things were better than this :(

“If he knew African-Americans as colleagues at all levels, his present view would be impossible to sustain,’’ Dr. King said.

If that is the case, it may not bode well for combating prejudice in biomedical research, where African-Americans represent just 1.5 percent of grant applications to the N.I.H. Biases in hiring by medical school science departments are well documented.

3. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And I thought Dr. Watson was better than that. :(

4. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I knew he and Crick had stolen Rosalind Franklin's research photos to do their DNA work (she died early likely from her work in making them, and so wasn't considered to be eligible for the Nobel prize), but that was so long ago that I hoped things were better now.

5. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

6. Denise

Denise Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've never been enthused by Watson's involvement with OMF tbh, and I suspected... edit: thought I'd remove unfounded speculations.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I doubt OMF are paying him a wage. I got the impression he was an old friend of Ron Davis from the days of the human genome project, and invited by him as a fellow scientist to add to the scientific weight of OMF.

9. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I should probably keep my ill-informed speculations to myself.

Learn from Watson's mistakes!

10. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Ron is an old student of Watsons, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Watson#Notable_former_students

JaimeS, MSEsperanza, MEMarge and 5 others like this.
  11. Little Bluestem

I was aware that they had stolen Rosalind Franklin’s work, but thought they were otherwise decent people. Hmm, even my ME brain can see the problem with that statement. :bag:

12. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://mendelspod.com/blog/no-redemption-decoding-watson/

13. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Watson is a mixed bag, and I have never been comfortable with him being 'on our side'. Just too much of a liability.

We have enough political and public relations problems without having to also deal with his self-inflicted baggage.

In fairness to Watson, he has a son who is seriously disabled with schizophrenia, so he is not unaware of the problems and prejudices the disabled can face, including in the mental health context.

14. Little Bluestem

And yet she somehow figured out the three-dimensional shape of DNA. Hmmm.

15. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

He seems to be completely oblivious to the prejudices those with mental health issues can face from within their own family:

I don't mind him taking a pot-shot at Linus Pauling though, as I have had to listen to that vitamin C nonsense from well-meaning (I think) former friends when brain-storming (or whatever-it-is-they-have-between-their-ears-storming) suggestions for how to deal with my ME symptoms.

But Watson does seem to be a rather odious individual who should be confined to his lab, preferably gagged, to get on with whatever it is he's good at.

ScottTriGuy, MSEsperanza, Mij and 4 others like this.
  16. Sean

Playing devil's advocate (and assuming that quote is accurate):

Serious schizophrenia is one of the more difficult and tragic conditions to have, and try to live with. Watson's view is not inconsistent with caring deeply about his son. It may just be Watson's version of the least worst option for his son to avoid that suffering.

We also don't know the details of the case, which can make all the difference.

I don't envy him and his family having to deal with it. His solution may or may not be the best for all concerned, but I don't think worse of him for thinking it might have been. He might be right.

Also worth noting that he said 'we' and 'our', so maybe the mother of his afflicted son has the same view too.

How is Watson's position different to the common modern practice of terminating pregnancies early for a range of serious genetic disorders, like Downs Syndrome?

17. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

I don't know much about schizophrenia. My first thought was what it must be like for his son to hear that. It may be a perfectly reasonable opinion to have, and even to express privately, or after the son has died (which apparently he hasn't yet), but according to the linked tweets (if you click on the comment) Watson has said it publicly at genetics conferences. Seems rather insensitive towards his son.

Little Bluestem, Hutan, Andy and 5 others like this.
  18. Sean

Agree.

WillowJ, Dolphin, Andy and 3 others like this.
  19. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I concur.

And I'd bet Watson repeating these statements in public forums only adds to his son's mental anguish.

Watson is basically twisting the psychological knife in his son.

ETA for clarity.

20. Dr Carrot

Dr Carrot Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Reading those quotes is actually quite concerning. Brilliant scientist or not I’m not actually sure if I’m ok with supporting an organisation that has links to someone who’s expressed themselves like that, consistently.