1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Do Alzheimer's and Lewy body disease have discrete pathological signatures of gait?

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by adambeyoncelowe, Sep 22, 2019.

1. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thought this was relevant since @Jonathan Edwards has mentioned gait as a possible diagnostic tool in ME.
    Link: https://www.alzheimersanddementia.com/article/S1552-5260(19)35120-9/fulltext

AliceLily, ukxmrv, Sean and 10 others like this.
  2. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks Andy this is interesting. My father in law has been diagnosed wih LBD which was explained as dementia with Parkinsonian traits.

Gait is one of the first obvious physical impacts. It is variable, notably shorter and " shuffle-y" and a stick is needed to steady , though stamina is good.

It would have been interesting if the walk test had included steps - these demand a huge co-ordination effort which is plainly evident - it looks similar to when my daughter has overdone it and says she feels like a baby looking at her limbs and having to really concentrate to place them in space where she wants them to go. It is as if depth of field perception doesn't work.