1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Disability New Sevice: Mystery over shock fall in disability benefits paid to older people

Discussion in 'Work, Finances and Disability Insurance' started by Andy, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.disabilitynewsservice.c...-in-disability-benefits-paid-to-older-people/

2. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think we all know why.

3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

The Tories had a plan a couple of years ago to axe attendance allowance and transfer the money to Local Authorities to use in their social care funds. Since social care is means tested, and Attendance allowance is not, many people would have lost any right to help with care costs. I gather the plan was scrapped, but I bet they are being as tough on AA claimants as on PIP.

4. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A lot of elderly people are also not aware of the existence of AA (and that it is not means tested);
    similarly for people with dementia there are a list of benefits they (or their carers) can claim, that they are eligible for including reduction in council tax (I think this can be retrospectively be claimed for).

As with most benefits there is no clear procedure for claiming and it is largely down to people to do their own research which is clearly a big obstacle for the disabled elderly and dementia sufferers.

https://www.dementiauk.org/living-with-dementia-know-your-benefits-entitlement/

"According to older people's charity Age UK, nearly three million people over 65 are struggling financially, while government figures show that 1.9m pensioners live below the poverty line. Despite this, the benefits targeted at older people are the most likely to go unclaimed."
    "
    David Samson, welfare benefits expert at the Turn2us benefits advice service, run by the Elizabeth Finn Trust, says that many pensioners are not aware of the financial support available to them. “For example, they may be getting their state pension but not be aware that they are entitled to pension credit,” he says. “The rules for pension credit are more generous than the rules for working people, so they may have an entitlement that they don’t realise.”

"It’s important to get the message out there as we know that claiming the correct benefits can make a huge difference to quality of life."

https://www.moneywise.co.uk/work-family/benefits/benefits-youre-entitled-to-over-65s

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  5. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder what's mysterious about it?

6. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

One for Miss Marple(?)