1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Disability New Service: "MPs launch inquiry into online abuse of disabled people, following Katie Price petition"

Discussion in 'General disability topics and advocacy' started by Andy, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.disabilitynewsservice.c...sabled-people-following-katie-price-petition/

So would unfounded claims of harassment and death threats, made by certain BPS researchers, count I wonder?

2. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My impression is that abuse of the sick and disabled in all circumstances has grown throughout the last 25 - 30 years as a direct result of government propaganda tarring them (the sick and disabled) as workshy scroungers. As a result the government has made it acceptable for anyone who feels so inclined to abuse the sick and the disabled.

The idea of an inquiry into the problem being run by MPs strikes me as being a really sick joke.

3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

There are some decent MP's and some disabled ones who know what it's like from experience.

ETA: But I agree the Government are part of the problem with their repeated stuff about work being good for everyone and implied denigration of benefit claimants as work shy scroungers.

4. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

And a big thanks to the likes of Rupert Murdoch, and the Daily Mail, for their part in that.

5. Revel

Revel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Have you noticed how, as soon as an MP is diagnosed with a serious health issue or has an existing disability, they are spoken of by their peers and in the media as courageous and worthy of our admiration, coping with such adversity. Quite unlike those lazy ESA scroungers . . .

6. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Especially when those unfounded claims are actually to deflect valid constructive criticisms of science having such high impact on PwME.

Melanie, Arnie Pye, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  7. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The petition and publicity seem to be trying to tackle trolls who attack individual disabled people. Yes, that is bad and many of us would have received attacks on the level but we need to be protected as a group in order to fight the PACE /SMC etc (as in a hate crime against race etc).

I've made complaints to newspapers over ME coverage but as they attack us a group and not as named individuals my complaints are brushed off.

8. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Government rhetoric against the sick and disabled have played a massive part in how we are seen by society at large. All part of a campaign, as though they can penalize and shame us out of ill health and disability. It's clear to see how readily folk will jump on any old social media bandwagon to demonstrate how liberal and enlightened they are. Except when it comes to the sick and disabled - we 're just not glamorous enough.

Once again, it's a catch 22 that works against the sick and disabled: no recognition, no effective treatment, difficulty accessing benefits. Then those who are lucky enough to go out into the world, maybe even to attempt some work, will face discrimination, hostility, suspicion and abuse by society at large anyway......