1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Differentiating Psychosomatic, Somatopsychic, Multisystem Illnesses and Medical Uncertainty, 2019, Bransfield, Friedman

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Anna H

Anna H Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Pechius
    I agree.
    This seems to describe what would have happened in an alternate, ideal universe devoid of corruption, immoral scientists and rampant capitalism:

Wishful thinking? It's definitely not an accurate description of reality as we know it, unfortunately :(
    And to say that Cochrane rejected it because it didn't live up to their 'quality standards'!!
    Nope, they didn't, instead they fiddled with their 'quality standards' in an effort to polish the turd and save face.

At closer inspection this paper seems filled with quite a lot of factual errors, including those pointed out by @Dx Revision Watch:thumbsdown:

Barry, Theresa, Annamaria and 4 others like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

To be fair, it was probably written at the time when it seemed the Cochrane review had been withdrawn. Sadly needs to be corrected now.

Barry, Dolphin, Annamaria and 5 others like this.
  3. Anna H

Anna H Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Trish
    Yes, you're right. It's very sad that didn't happen :cry:

Barry, Annamaria, Amw66 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. Tom Kindlon

6. Tom Kindlon

7. Tom Kindlon

8. Tom Kindlon

9. Tom Kindlon

10. Tom Kindlon

11. Tom Kindlon

12. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In post #26 :

https://www.s4me.info/threads/diffe...-friedman-8-oct-2019.11667/page-2#post-226697

I noticed a reference to hyperventilation syndrome. I've suffered with that in the past, perhaps 12 - 15 years ago. I wasn't told by any doctors or nurses or therapists that it was a mental health problem or a medically unexplained symptom or a sign that I was suffering from bodily distress disorder or syndrome and I must need therapy or anti-depressants. My doctor wasn't distressed by my symptoms either! The help I got was completely practical. I was referred to a respiratory nurse who worked with patients in my surgery once or twice a week.

The first appointment lasted about 20 minutes and in that appointment I was told where my breathing was going wrong, and was shown how to do breathing exercises to correct the poor rhythm of breathing I had. I also learned how to breathe from further down my lungs rather than breathing from up near my shoulders and how to correct my over-breathing.

I had to practice the breathing exercises at home every day, which I did. I found it horrible to begin with - like I was being suffocated, but I persisted. And it worked.

A few weeks later I had a follow up appointment which lasted no more than about 5 - 10 minutes.

I haven't needed to see anyone else for this problem. Having breathed with a poor rhythm for years before this happened I do still fall into bad habits and have to correct it every so often. But I just do my exercises again for a few days or a week or two and I'm fine again. I don't need a prescription, nor do I need to see a doctor or a nurse, and it costs the NHS nothing. Since I know how to correct the problem I don't panic or worry or get anxious about breathing too hard or too fast or too shallow or any other problem like that.

I wonder how often people are taught how to deal with their own hyperventilation syndrome now? And how many people get well with anti-depressants or therapy for anxiety or depression? My guess would be ... None.

I also wonder if that helpful respiratory nurse I saw still has a job or whether she has been "let go" for not being cost-effective any more.

rvallee and Trish like this.