1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Deep Sleep Therapy": ABC/Channel 4 1990s documentary on a psychiatric treatment that directly and indirectly was associated with a number of deaths

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Dolphin, Aug 20, 2020.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm clearing out my old video cassette tapes and just watched the following documentary which was broadcast on Channel 4 (UK) in 1992 as part of the "Secret History" series. According to this video it was first broadcast on ABC in Australia.

Possibly of interest to those who are interested in bad practice in psychiatry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUGom5FxPaY

Documentary proper starts after around a minute.

shak8, bobbler, inox and 6 others like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Re Dr Bailey: 7.20 mins
    "He saw his cures as being a great answer to just about every mental illness. And with the force of his personality he gathered round him people who did believe in him, both medical people and nursing staff, but also a large personal following of patients. He was a very high profile, very public figure. And without that sort of personality, the type of thing which happened at Chelmsford would not have happened."

24.45 mins - compelling testimony from a wife who was a nurse

36.00 - the story of why it took so long to bring any of the doctors involved account. The treatment ended in 1979. "Finally, in 1988, the government announced a Royal Commission to thoroughly investigate the affair. After two and a half years of deliberations, the Commissioner made strong recommendations about the Chelmsford doctors. In spite of the Royal Commissions findings, 18 months on ..<the doctors> are still practising to this day."

shak8, bobbler, Snow Leopard and 5 others like this.
  3. rachel76

rachel76 Established Member

That was chilling.

shak8, bobbler, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  4. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Have not had time yet to watch it, but it will be interesting to look for references to William Sargant and Ewen Cameron. I don't know whether the links to deep sleep therapy for supposed hyperventilation in ME seemingly carried out at the (EDIT Charing Cross) by Nixon was related. There was a very odd newspaper report about that which I must try to rediscover.

There seems to have been some competition between Bailey and Sargant which was not to the benefit of patients.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    bobbler, Dolphin and Hutan like this.
  5. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

From my memory of the video:
    Sargant (in the UK) came up with the idea and Bailey copied it and took it further. Sargant realised after two patients died that weeks restrained in heavy sedation was not a good idea - and so he 'roused' the patients for meals. Bailey had his patients tube-fed and didn't seem to work out something was wrong at any point, not when he had 16 patients dead or later when there was more.

The video says that Sargant replied to Bailey's lawyer that, if he was called as a witness, he would not speak in support of Bailey but would instead say that he had been irresponsible. That seemed to devastate Bailey.

shak8, bobbler, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  6. Dolphin

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1090268/plotsummary

bobbler, alktipping and rvallee like this.
  7. Dolphin

https://thetvdb.com/series/secret-history/episodes/4292103

8. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUdTioqK6kQ

William Sargant, Medical Science and British Intelligence. A BBC radio programme which gives further background and is less exculpatory of Sargant. It suggests involvement with Porton Down. They all seem to skirt around the subject of Cameron. I wonder why.

It seems that Sargant admitted to four deaths, but who knows whether this was accurate?

bobbler, alktipping and Hutan like this.