1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Decreased NO production in endothelial cells exposed to plasma from ME/CFS patients, Bertinat et al (2022)

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Hoopoe, Jan 21, 2022.

1. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Decreased NO production in endothelial cells exposed to plasma from ME/CFS patients

Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) is a debilitating disease characterized by severe and persistent fatigue.

Along with clinical studies showing endothelial dysfunction (ED) in a subset of ME/CFS patients, we have recently reported altered ED-related microRNAs in plasma from affected individuals. Inadequate nitric oxide (NO), mainly produced by the endothelial isoform of nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) in endothelial cells (ECs), is a major cause of ED.

In this study, we hypothesized that plasma from that cohort of ME/CFS patients induces eNOS-related ED in vitro. To test this, we cultured human umbilical vein endothelial cells (HUVECs) in the presence of either plasma from ME/CFS patients (ME/CFS-plasma, n = 11) or healthy controls (HC-plasma, n = 12). Then, we measured the NO production in the absence or presence of tyrosine kinase and G protein-coupled receptors agonists (TKRs and GPCRs, respectively), well-known to activate eNOS in ECs.

Our data show that HUVECs incubated with ME/CFS-plasma produced less NO either in the absence or presence of eNOS activators compared to ones in presence of HC-plasma. Also, the NO production elicited by bradykinin, histamine, and acetylcholine (GPCRs agonists) was more affected than the one triggered by insulin (TKR agonist). Finally, inhibitory eNOS phosphorylation at Thr495 was higher in HUVECs treated with ME/CFS-plasma compared to the same treatment with HC-plasma.

In conclusion, this study in vitro shows a decreased NO production in HUVECs exposed to plasma from ME/CFS patients, suggesting an unreported role of eNOS in the pathophysiology of this disease.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1537189122000027

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2022
  2. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Could this explain why I felt so much better last summer? I made an effort to get a good dose of sunlight every day. At first this was unpleasant because it induced dizziness and weakness but then my body seemed to adjust to it. I improved so much that on the best days I was able to walk uphill in the heat for an hour with only very mild consequences. I also went swimming often which seemed to have a positive effect on circulation. Now in the winter I have deteriorated to a level where even a 10 minute walk risks aggravating symptoms and fatigue is disabling.

(sunlight triggers nitric oxide production)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
    Anna H, sebaaa, boolybooly and 14 others like this.
  3. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For the most part, I get a good dose of sunlight everyday during the summer, however, it has never caused me to feel better.

5. Slamdancin

Slamdancin Established Member

@SNT Gatchaman

They say it’s unexpected but I have seen eNOS come up at least once in the ME literature. This is a novel mechanism though. I’m interested to see how this gels with some of the leading endothelial dysfunction theories.

sebaaa, Simon M, boolybooly and 9 others like this.
  6. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So, if this lead to inadequate vasodilation in the microcirculation (perhaps while under the "load" of exercise) might it lead to effects like the arteriovenous "shunting" that Dr. Systrom has hypothesized?

Also, I don't know if you wind up with "vasoconstriction" when vasodilation is inhibited, but might a "slight" system wide vasoconstriction result in some measurable reduction in blood volume?

FMMM1, Michelle, sebaaa and 11 others like this.
  7. Samuel

Samuel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

basic questions

what kind of endothelial dysfunction is found or hypothesized in m.e.?

what are the signs and symptoms of endohelialdysnction thtat might befund? raynauds? o2 transport? angioedema?

does taking vit d3 inrease no or must it be sunlight

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
    sebaaa, Ravn, Louie41 and 5 others like this.
  8. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hi Samuel, this is a 12 patient in vitro hypothesis-driven experiment and nothing was mentioned about vitamin D; it is best not to get too carried away. It would need to be replicated and debated to understand the meaning.

Endothelial dysfunction is when the veins do not constrict properly to send blood back to the heart. It is believed that endothelial dysfunction is associated with POTS and dysautonomia.

Michelle, Lidia, FMMM1 and 22 others like this.
  9. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

I feel more able to do stuff on days with a lot of sun, but I can also be completely unable to do anything.

It is not the vitamin D the skin can produce from sunlight that is the cause of sunlights ability to increase vasodilation. It is the red/infrared lights. There are a few studies on red/infrared light on recovery but mostly it's hype (I still enjoy red light therapy though).

I'm not sure I would explain it as the veins not constricting properly to send blood back to the heart. Rather as a general issue to control vasoconstriction/dilation as the body needs to.

Interesting hypothesis. I wish they would have measured arginin in the plasma samples, arginine is a substrate for eNOS and important for NO production. Nitrate in the blood can also influence eNOS. I'm not familiar with the cell type they've used so I can't say anything about that. I'm slightly biased in favor of this hypothesis as I do eat a lot of food that (in theory) improve bloodflow by increasing NO production* as I do believe low tissue oxygen might be part of our problems. I also enjoy red light therapy, which as mentioned has a lot of hype around it**. A problem with this approach is that anything you do to increase NO relies on these mechanisms functioning as they should, which doesn't have to be the case if they are part of the pathophysiology.

* Beets, spinach, dark chocolate, protein-rich foods.
    ** According to some the body responds to red light therapy as it would to exercise, and because of that I think it can induce PEM. A problem for me is I use it standing upright, and if my OI is bad using it makes me feel sick. If that is due to the OI alone or if it gets worse due to the red light I'm not sure about.

Edit:
    Phosphorylation at THR495, which is associated with decreased NO production, was significantly higher in the cells that were exposed to plasma from pwME. There are metabolites in the blood that could lead to phosphorylation/dephosphorylation of amino acids (some of which they added to the cells in this study). I'm not sure what could be in the plasma, "something in the blood" springs to mind :p However, while THR495 phosphorylation is associated with decreased NO, it is not necessarily so simple:
    From https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3326601/

Another factor involved with eNOS that has previously shown up in ME/CFS papers is heat shock protein 90. Also eNOS can produce superoxide, a free radical that can lead to oxidative stress that is also seen in many illnesses, including ME/CFS.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
  10. Milo

I think that in the ME/ POTS population vasodilation is the problem- i was trying to explain our context.

sebaaa, Ash, Ravn and 5 others like this.
  11. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

Ah, then it makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

12. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Hutan, Lidia, rainy and 15 others like this.
  13. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've felt better every time I went for a walk with my brother and his kids, whilst it's supposed to make me feel worse for overexerting somewhat. I wouldn't recommend people trying to go out and go over their limits, but last summer was a good one, where I went out a number of times and felt better for it. Usually when I do PEM makes me sick for days.

Ash, Ravn, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  14. borko2100

borko2100 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This theory (endothelial / vessel dysfunction) makes sense to me. If the micro blood vessels are constricted, then not enough oxygen would get to tissues like the nerves and muscles. This would then lead to fatigue and rapid fatiguability. PEM could simply be an after effect of oxygen deprivation during times of stress.

Furthermore, this theory might explain why most of the cellular studies have been inconclusive and / or not convincing. Namely, if the problem is in the vessels and not the cells then in-vitro cellular studies would not detect it.

Michelle, sebaaa, Ash and 9 others like this.
  15. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But would it lead to delayed PEM?

Ash, Ravn, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  16. borko2100

borko2100 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe it is possible. I don't think there has been much or any research on how cells react to low level hypoxia or reduced micro-circulation. It could simply be that the damage takes some time to present itself.

Ash, Ravn, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  17. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hutan, Michelle, sebaaa and 5 others like this.
  18. Sizzle

Sizzle New Member

Can this also be the cause of POTs patients having extra severe symptoms after showering?

Michelle, Ravn, Hoopoe and 1 other person like this.
  19. Milo

Hi @Sizzle it looks like it’s your first post, so welcome!
    The vasodilatation of the vessels is well known as a problem and having severe symptoms following a shower is common. It is suggested you sit (as opposed to stand) and to not set the water temp too high. I also wrap myself with towels after the shower and sit until i dry, but if you feel dizzy or short of breath, you should really lay down.

Hutan, Michelle, Simon M and 7 others like this.
  20. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Its interesting, empirical and quantitative, the question is whether it is replicable?

Michelle, FMMM1, Robert 1973 and 5 others like this.