1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Altered endothelial dysfunction-related miRs in plasma from ME/CFS patients, 2021, Blauensteiner et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by InitialConditions, May 19, 2021.

1. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-89834-9

ABSTRACT
    Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) is a complex disease characterized by unexplained debilitating fatigue. Although the etiology is unknown, evidence supports immunological abnormalities, such as persistent inflammation and immune-cell activation, in a subset of patients. Since the interplay between inflammation and vascular alterations is well-established in other diseases, endothelial dysfunction has emerged as another player in ME/CFS pathogenesis. Endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) generates nitric oxide (NO) that maintains endothelial homeostasis. eNOS is activated by silent information regulator 1 (Sirt1), an anti-inflammatory protein. Despite its relevance, no study has addressed the Sirt1/eNOS axis in ME/CFS. The interest in circulating microRNAs (miRs) as potential biomarkers in ME/CFS has increased in recent years. Accordingly, we analyze a set of miRs reported to modulate the Sirt1/eNOS axis using plasma from ME/CFS patients.

Our results show that miR-21, miR-34a, miR-92a, miR-126, and miR-200c are jointly increased in ME/CFS patients compared to healthy controls. A similar finding was obtained when analyzing public miR data on peripheral blood mononuclear cells. Bioinformatics analysis shows that endothelial function-related signaling pathways are associated with these miRs, including oxidative stress and oxygen regulation. Interestingly, histone deacetylase 1, a protein responsible for epigenetic regulations, represented the most relevant node within the network. In conclusion, our study provides a basis to find endothelial dysfunction-related biomarkers and explore novel targets in ME/CFS.

ahimsa, Milo, DokaGirl and 30 others like this.
  2. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Milo, merylg, DokaGirl and 23 others like this.
  3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

From the paper, for info.

"Acknowledgements

This study was supported by ME Research UK (SCI charity number SC036942) and carried out using samples from the UK ME/CFS Biobank, which were processed and stored at the UCL-RFH BioBank). The authors thank all the study participants for donating their blood to the UK ME/CFS Biobank (UKMEB) and also the ME/CFS community who raised funds to facilitate the UKMEB projects. The authors also want to thank the ME/CFS Society Austria (Österreichische Gesellschaft für ME/CFS, CFS-Hilfe), and the FH JOANNEUM University of Applied Sciences for supporting gran applications. FW thanks Mr. Mika Remes (QIAGEN) for his technical assistance. Finally, FW especially thanks Mr. Luis Westermeier for his support and encouragement throughout this study."

Milo, Kitty, DokaGirl and 22 others like this.
  4. Lindberg

Lindberg Established Member (Voting Rights)

Could this have anything to do with anti-ETAR antibodies? Or would that be totally irrelevant for this matter?

Kitty, DokaGirl and Michelle like this.
  5. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

That a nice acknowledgements section. It's good to see researchers from Austria and Chile working on ME/CFS biology.

J. Blauensteiner

Institute of Biomedical Science, Department of Health Studies, FH Joanneum University of Applied Sciences, Graz, Austria

R. Bertinat

Centro de Microscopía Avanzada, CMA-BIO BIO, Facultad de Ciencias Biológica, Universidad de Concepción, Concepción, Chile

L. E. León

Instituto de Ciencias Biomédicas, Facultad de Ciencias de La Salud, Universidad Autónoma de Chile, Santiago, Chile

M. Riederer

Institute of Biomedical Science, Department of Health Studies, FH Joanneum University of Applied Sciences, Graz, Austria

N. Sepúlveda

Department of Infection Biology, Faculty of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
    Centro de Estatística e Aplicações, Universidade de Lisboa, Lisbon, Portugal
    Institute of Medical Immunology, Charité-Universitätsmedizin Berlin, Corporate Member of Freie Universität (FU) Berlin, Humboldt-Universität Zu Berlin and Berlin Institute of Health (BIH), Berlin, Germany

F. Westermeier

Centro Integrativo de Biología y Química Aplicada (CIBQA), Universidad Bernardo O´Higgins, Santiago, Chile

Snow Leopard, Milo, Kitty and 9 others like this.
  6. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

This study - miRNA in plasma
    Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 6.45.49 AM.png

Analysis of previously published data of miRNA in PBMCs:
    Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 6.52.03 AM.png

There's overlap between levels in pwME and healthy controls of course, but average levels do seem to be higher and this is consistent in another study. I haven't read the paper yet, but it looks interesting.

7. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. dreampop

dreampop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Histone deacetylase has come up a few times over the past decade.

1) In 2011, Lenny Jason found, in this paper

2) A group at Brussels has set up a study that that will look at HDAC genes under PEM.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04378634

3) One of the more interesing papers, imo, of recent years was Neil McGregor's "Hypermetabolism" findings, which included blood and urine testing and indicated, amongst other things, problems with purine metabolism.

Milo, Michelle, Grigor and 4 others like this.
  9. dreampop

dreampop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I believe there might be use in going to see if it pinged any other epigentic me/cfs studies, but I'm too tired to do that atm.

Michelle, Kitty and DokaGirl like this.