1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

David Tuller: Trial By Error: So What's Happening with the MAGENTA Trial?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Kalliope, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

How does that work? Ah, I know, that gets around the problem that in order to do the increasing amounts of ''exercise'' they have to cut back more and more on other activities. No wonder they don't want them wearing activity monitors all day.

Dolphin, SallyC, inox and 17 others like this.
  2. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

This is clearly based on the presumption that it is going to happen.

They are simply refusing to allow for the possibility that it might not happen.

Dolphin, SallyC, inox and 14 others like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's an issue I haven't seen much discussed yet even though it's a critical failure in all the psychosocial research. Every trial that uses a single measurement in time is misleading because of the wildly fluctuating nature of this disease. It would be as accurate as a simple measurement of blood sugar level and slapping a nice "RECOVERED" stamp on diabetics who have a single good reading. Or for a more similar disease, taking a relatively symptom-free period for MS patients and declaring them cured because they are not having a relapse at this moment.

I have had 3 remissions. Each time lower than the last, but I was able to work and have a relatively normal life, albeit a much less active one. I had months where I could barely walk across a room most days. Even presently I have days when I can do a little housework like vacuuming and going for a quick grocery run, while others I can't even cook myself food. The psychosocial research doesn't even attempt to address this. Single point data in this disease are completely misleading yet because of the questionnaire nature of psychosocial research, that's all they have.

What's more annoying is that variability is a known feature of ME, but that's precisely why psychosocial research restricts itself entirely to chronic fatigue, which does not have this feature and they can just brush those concerns aside but simply saying "this applies to ME because we say so". It's a severe ethical and professional failure of authorities to allow this.

Dolphin, inox, ScottTriGuy and 16 others like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Discussion of Apps, Actometers and other monitoring devices has been moved to this thread

5. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Neuroscience innit?

6. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Overstepping in many cases.
    Much like my wife, though she never walks very fast. But then after a while the meager energy reserve runs out, and like you, she slows right down mentally and physically.

Spot on.