1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

David Tuller: Trial By Error: My Letter to Red Whale/GP Update

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Kalliope, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Should it be a kipper rather than a herring as it may be we will find something smells rather strongly here.

2. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Perhaps if they had called themselves White Whale they could have expected their detractors to destroy themselves in obsessive pursuit.

3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Red Whale is informing the medical profession in NZ too. Nothing very MUS-like on the agenda as far as I can see, but interesting to see that 'Addiction to Exercise' is on the list.

4. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Warning: Nerding :nerd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeGMHbK4NlA

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    adambeyoncelowe and Inara like this.
  5. Peter Trewhitt

Surprising it is not on the list given they have over seventy topics, one wonders how they plan to deal with them all in one day.

MEMarge, Hutan and Invisible Woman like this.
  6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Red Whale sounds distinctly like a name generated by a computer programme.

Red would be for proactive, salient, upbeat, sanguine, bright.

Then Whale would indicate powerful but friendly, benign, harmless. (We all know killer whales are really dolphins and black and white.)

But of course the Red might indicate that like the Science Media centre and Sense About Science it is run by ex members of the Revolutionary Communist Party. Maybe like Facebook and the White House it is actually run by the Kremlin to destroy the health of western nations.

But there does seem to be a whiff of something more piscine here - maybe even distant Surstromming.

7. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Could it be a whiff of coffee? Red Whale is also the name of a gourmet coffee store in the San Francisco Bay Area.

And you're in luck. They have Red Whale t-shirts for purchase.

redwhalecoffee_bag_9c866704-037c-4c4f-9ae3-1907a87b2632_large.png Photo_Sep_08_4_32_42_PM_1024x1024.jpg

8. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

fermented herring is a famous traditional Swedish dish. Never has rotten herring smelled so bad but tasted so good.
    My goodness Jonathan. I had to look up that one, "Surstromming"' my Norwegian not being up to your speed!
    But on the other hand, it does appear we have gone full circle and got back to (Red) herring.......fermented red herring even....

Attached Files:

9. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

From the Red Whale GP update page:

It seems that their commitment applies only to pharmaceutical treatments.

You'd think from this that they would want nothing to do with dodgy researchers, much less be helping to recruit for them.

10. Peter Trewhitt

I guess the question is what is their relationship with the FITNET researchers and who is advising them on MUS and compiling their training materials and manual for their course. If they take what the usual suspects say at face value they may not have realised up to now how 'controversial' the BPS brigade are internationally.

11. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

yes, this is what I'm wondering. Were they specifically commissioned to promote this? Or is there some other more generic arrangement? It's not really clear.

12. James Morris-Lent

James Morris-Lent Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Pretty good frisbee:
    Unknown-2.jpeg
    Flies nice and straight, won't sail past the target. Tacky grip. Not very durable, however, so try not to hit trees with it.

Attached Files:

13. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think a red herring is in fact a particularly stinky form of smoked and salted herring anyway; a well kippered kipper.

Invisible Woman and andypants like this.
  14. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

andypants and Trish like this.