1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Danish doctors don't like that they can no longer treat ME as functional disorder

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Hoopoe, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://translate.google.com/transl...icin.dk/nok-er-nok-lad-laegerne-vaere-laeger/

Rest behind a paywall. Can anyone get access to the full article?

2. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

,,,to be socially acceptable at the same time as being cruel, damaging and pointless?

No idea as to the text but that looks like the logical way to finish that sentence.

Maggie, Peter Trewhitt, Aroa and 11 others like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Weird. I could read it. But either the translation is bad or the writer is terrible because little made sense. More of a personal grievance about people having different opinions, which the author seems to consider irresponsible because their opinion is clearly superior and should not be questioned because people want free cannabis. Or something of the sort, it's very meandering.

It seems to be a call for other physicians to protest, even strike. Is this getting any traction or are they screaming into the void?

4. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If you've got access, could you quote the google translate here?

DokaGirl, rvallee and Barry like this.
  5. Rick Sanchez

Rick Sanchez Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Danish school system does not place emphasis on teaching people how to write, and this opinion piece clearly shows. Op-eds in Denmark are the equivalent of angry Facebook posts.

I've never heard of any of these doctors, and I don't think half of them even know what a functional disorder is. Although I am sure the Danish Sundhedsstyrelse will appreciate the support.

Andy, Cheshire, DokaGirl and 4 others like this.
  6. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sly Saint, Sean, Esther12 and 2 others like this.
  7. inox

inox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I could read the danish original through google translate, but stopped by paywall on the original link. Wierd.

It's not mainly about functional disorder, but the vote to use the WHO-codes seemes to be the last drop for this author. It's about what is percived as political intervention in medical practice. Thyroide and cannabis treatments are also mentioned.

Liselott Blixt is a politician and member of parliament, if I remember correct? In a position related to health.

Doctors have been very angry with her before as well, an example from february this year:

https://sundhedspolitisktidsskrift.dk/nyheder/1854-laeger-er-rasende-pa-liselott-blixt.html
    https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=da&tl=en&u=https://sundhedspolitisktidsskrift.dk/nyheder/1854-laeger-er-rasende-pa-liselott-blixt.html&sandbox=1

Edit: Fixed last name in quote, as google auto-translated it.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  8. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Excellent
    I bet similar sentiments were expressed when MS was proven biological
    They want us to feel bad for them that they can no longer lie?

Nope.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    Sean, Peter Trewhitt, rvallee and 5 others like this.
  9. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Oh noes! These doctors might actually have to do some hard work and find a real explanation and treatment, and give up their easy lucrative patient-blaming psycho-drama fairy-tales.

Poor widdle darlings. We hurtses their feeling-poos. And incomes.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019