1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Crossing Chiari and syringomyelia off the list

Discussion in 'Neurological diseases' started by andypants, Nov 19, 2019.

1. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm still waiting to hear back from the neurologist, and having finally seen the images myself I'm wondering if it's taking so long because he needs a second opinion. I am obviously not a professional and I could be totally off the mark here, but to my eyes I would qualify for a Chiari malformation I diagnosis with a maybe 7 mm tonsillar herniation. Someone who knows what they are doing would need to confirm that, obviously.

Not a lot and doesn't seem to block CFS flow, but from what I understand symptom severity and size of the herniation are not directly related. I could be totally wrong or it could mean absolutely nothing, but it's enough that I will try to have a neurosurgeon at the University hospital look at the images and/or maybe get newer and better ones with contrast. I'll wait to hear back from the neurologist first.

My parents are going to a Christmas party tomorrow where the hostess and most of her friends are senior doctors and surgeons of all varieties, so they will fish for respected neurosurgeons to get in touch with for me :thumbup: Feeling very privileged to be able to tap into that network.

mango, diwa, Sarah94 and 1 other person like this.