Critical Appraisal Tools

Discussion in 'Other research methodology topics' started by Midnattsol, Oct 5, 2023.

1. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

Critical Appraisal Tools, University of Oxford

So while looking for something else I came across this website with "critical appraisal tools" for various study types: https://www.cebm.ox.ac.uk/resources/ebm-tools/critical-appraisal-tools

On randomised controlled trials it is said on blinding and objective outcomes:
    "It is ideal if the study is ‘double-blinded’ – that is, both patients and investigators are unaware of treatment allocation. If the outcome is objective (eg death) then blinding is less critical. If the outcome is subjective (eg symptoms or function) then blinding of the outcome assessor is critical."

Nice to see it in print when it seems some are dead-set on ignoring this point.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2023
    Amw66, MEMarge, MeSci and 12 others like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does it say that blinding of the patients also essential?

FMMM1, MeSci, Wyva and 7 others like this.
  3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I guess the outcome assessor can be the patient.

alktipping, Wyva, Midnattsol and 4 others like this.
  4. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting reading this as it makes it clear where EBM falls apart, and starts short in the firs place. Comparing to the link at the bottom on formulation of research quesions it also shows why it has led to iterative stuck in rut because it doesn't answer a hypothesis or move anything forward literatures too?

And yes, sadly even within this cropped framework BPSm don't even tick the boxes of the compulsory stuff (one of the biggies in their research being rated very low quality was they didn't even get the patient population right to make sure everyone they sampled had the condition they were generalising the results for)

I read the top page which listst the following,which aren't too wrong in being twisted from the core principles of good research design (but really it should be 'what is your question, then how does that translate to what is my Research Question' and does that research question actually answer the question ie is it valid/internally consistent etc):

Where the switch and bait issue occurs is when what they term in point 1. as 'clearly focused question' then becomes translated in the page underneath: https://www.cebm.ox.ac.uk/resources/ebm-tools/asking-focused-questions

It doesn't seem to really care what the question is trying to achieve, whether it is valid. And as for pretending it is precise - it doesn't even metnion dose and whether that might vary. Or linking it back to the patient population in point 4. by noting whether the methods need controls from other patient populations, checking their population is representative etc.

So it at that point seems to be a lesson in making research more ambiguous, shady and less smart whilst labelling all of these changes with terms that infer you've done the opposite and made it more forensic.

And in fact then their list seems back to front, where instead of prompting thinking to make sure that the design is correct to be valid it seems like it is a case of pick your question then how do you sell it as 'being valid' or 'important' or 'applicable'.

This all seems a far cry from the main principle of research design of 'is what you are actually asking [what are people really thinking they are being asked with the questions you've put down, what informaion and combo of information is influencing the objective measurement etc] what you think you are asking [the Research Question]?'

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6322175/

alktipping, Midnattsol and Sean like this.
  5. Midnattsol

Only what it says that double blind is best ;)

Blinding of both patients and assessors is a point in JBI's critical assessment tool, but they don't mention the objective/subjective outcomes.
    https://jbi.global/critical-appraisal-tools

alktipping, MEMarge and Trish like this.
  6. Jonathan Edwards

Yes, I had look at the document.

This is just no good. It does mention the need for blinding being less for objective outcomes but if they are not then blinding of patients is at least as important as assessors. And it is not a question of what is ideal. It is a matter of the minimum requirement to produce a meaningful result.

The style writing 'we the experts are giving you this good advice' is the worst part of it. These are exactly the people who produce poor quality stuff when it is their turn.

bobbler, alktipping, FMMM1 and 3 others like this.
  7. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From @MSEsperanza:

Yes. At least according to the Cochrane Handbook, as pointed out in one of the published responses to the Anomalies paper:

"NICE did downgrade quality of evidence when subjective outcomes (not just fatigue, but also pain, sleep, quality of life, etc.) were used in trials where participants and therapists were not blinded as this combination creates a high risk of bias. This grading is in accordance with the Cochrane Handbook which states that “the potential for bias cannot be ignored even if the outcome assessor cannot be blinded." (2) In the case of patient-reported outcome measures such as fatigue, the Cochrane Handbook considers patients to be the outcome assessor."

https://jnnp.bmj.com/content/early/...shortcomings-in-the-commentary-by-white-et-al

Just wonder why Cochrane & co can't use clearer wording, e.g. just say 'patients/ participants' or add that participants are their own outcome assessors in this case (and maybe in addition to study staff that is involved both as therapists giving feedback to the participants and as study nurses asking and sometimes actually filling the participants' answers in the questionnaires).

See also: Basic questions on terms and methodology used in clinical trials

https://www.s4me.info/threads/basic...gy-used-in-clinical-trials.30316/#post-445244

bobbler, alktipping, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  8. Midnattsol

Not disagreeing with the quality (though I feel the Oxford one is one of the least bad I've seen so far), but unfortunately something students can be told to use for assignments and I don't doubt this then spreads to things like articles similar to risk of bias tools and GRADE.

alktipping and Kitty like this.
  9. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

This.

No amount of sophistry is going to substitute for lack of adequate control.

bobbler, alktipping, rvallee and 2 others like this.
  10. Jonathan Edwards

It is a bit like a critical appraisal tool designed for students judging the quality of course-setting programmes for spaceships to Mars.

'As experts we are here to advise students that it is ideal to assume the three angles of a triangle add up to 180 degrees, because it tends to work out better if you do.'

If the students have not as schoolchildren proven to their own satisfaction that the three angles of a triangle must obviously add up to 180 degrees they are not suitable candidates for the programme. Clinical science requires the same level of understanding.

11. Midnattsol

If we are not being taught, how will we learn? From clinical courses I have among other things been told to first check who the author is and their credentials... we have been taught GRADE and ROB, and now these critical appraisal tools have showed up.

As a child of two academic parents/with one in clinical work I'm lucky to have been taught a lot of basics at home, but many will not have this background and thus will depend on what they learn during their education. I don't think someone is not suitable if they have not been taught at all or if they have been taught that studies of the kind we discuss on this forum are perfectly fine and how things are done.

alktipping and Trish like this.
  12. Jonathan Edwards

I guess in this situation from common sense and understanding of body language when sitting in on clinical sessions as a student. If one gets to medical qualification (and I assume these Tools are intended for people who have at least a first degree in a health profession) without having a good idea of how open to manipulation the interaction between healthcare worker and patient is and how often that is exploited then one isn't awake enough to be much good as a potential clinical academic. You can see the reason why you need patient blinding by looking at the patronising smile on the surgeon's face as easily as you can see that the angles of a triangle must add up to 150 degrees.

bobbler, Hutan and FMMM1 like this.
  13. Midnattsol

Not all health care professionals have a lot of clinical sessions during their education. As a registered dietitian, we were only required to have four weeks and a day here and there during a five year master's. I was lucky that my university hospital opened the clinic for first year students, but others didn't meet patients until year five when we have the longest clinical internship - a whole four weeks. This is being changed now so that all students will meet patients during their first year and the four-week internship is changed to six, but still.

And after that you are authorized for clinical work and allowed to start an academic career if you so choose ;)

bobbler, Hutan, Trish and 1 other person like this.