1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Covid-19 vaccines and vaccinations

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by hinterland, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Inactivated viral vaccines tend to have poorer efficacy, against symptomatic infection (which relies on antibodies binding to the receptor binding domain(s) of the spike protein).

But there is an advantage that it provides some additional (mostly T-cell) immunity against viral components other than the spike protein which can increase efficacy against severe disease if used in combination with one of the other vaccines.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
    FMMM1, Binkie4, Sean and 7 others like this.
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was starting to recover from the second Moderna vaccine and then had the Pfizer booster so I'm right back to going through adverse reactions again. Normally I get hit with exhaustion from the vaccines but this time it has left me really tired all day long.

No, it wasn't me who thought that it was the spike protein that was the problem. My understanding is that the vaccine revs up our immune system and that for some reason our immune system doesn't settle back down again to 'normal'.

bobbler, Binkie4, Ariel and 5 others like this.
  3. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In February, the UK medicines regulator approved the first Covid vaccine based on an older, more established technology. Its developer, Novavax, has pitched it as an alternative for people reluctant to take newer mRNA-based jabs.

But while it is now available in much of Europe, Novavax is still not cleared for use in the UK.

"It's been so frustrating - and it's not just me," says a woman in her 40s, who did not want to be named.
    "There are other people out there who are not anti-vax or anything like that, but are just hesitant to take the new kind of mRNA vaccines."

She caught Covid last year and spent five nights in hospital on oxygen. Last month she travelled from the UK to a vaccine clinic in France to have the Novavax jab.

Whatever happened to the Novavax Covid vaccine? - BBC News

Wits_End, Binkie4, TigerLilea and 2 others like this.
  4. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That is strange, it has been available in Australia for a while now as well.

bobbler, FMMM1, Binkie4 and 3 others like this.
  5. TigerLilea

Novavax was approved for use here in Canada back in February.

FMMM1, Binkie4 and Lilas like this.
  6. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Paywalled opinion piece in Swedish newspaper DN today, written by a psychologist.

Insändare. ”Lyssna på oss som drabbats av vaccinets biverkningar”
    https://www.dn.se/insandare/lyssna-pa-oss-som-drabbats-av-vaccinets-biverkningar/

MeSci, SNT Gatchaman, Binkie4 and 3 others like this.
  7. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

About 20 people, now up to 37, testified in a closed Facebook group to exactly the same kind of symptoms: numbness, tingling, a feeling of fire in the body, tinnitus, all linked to the time of vaccination, often immediately after injection.

For a population of ten million you would expect at least 37 to have these symptoms starting at any chosen time you like. And starting immediately after injection would be against a reaction to the vaccine itself.

Everyone deserves sympathy for being ill but 'being left in the lurch' seems an unreasonable charge.

Diluted-biscuit and FMMM1 like this.
  8. TigerLilea

The adverse reactions to the covid vaccine don't always happen immediately after the vaccine, but can be a delayed reaction sometimes starting weeks after the vaccine. That has been confirmed to me by a researcher working on a vaccine study here in Canada that I participated in.

I've always had mild ME symptoms until having the Moderna vaccines. My symptoms are now severe. I never had neuropathy before the vaccines. I never had problems with walking before the vaccines. I've met people online who have gone from healthy working individuals to bedridden since having the vaccine. People are reporting online that their Neurologists and Immunologists are saying that in the past year over 50% of their new patients are all complaining of the same symptoms, all having started within weeks of getting the covid vaccine.

Just like people not believing that ME is a real medical issue, there are doctors who don't want to believe that people are having these experiences caused by a vaccine. Seriously, I had mild ME for 30 years and five days after having the first vaccine it is just a coincidence that my ME suddenly gets severe????????????? It's just a coincidence that a week after having the second vaccine that I have neuropathy???????? That's BS.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
  9. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Believing that people have the symptoms they have is a completely different thing from accepting causal explanations based on individual cases that can never be proven.

Coincidences occur all the time. The only way to establish that there is a causal link is to do large systematic studies.

Yes, I was making the point that if an event like generalised tingling and numbness occurs immediately after the vaccine it is pretty unlikely to be an adverse reaction to vaccine. If there is an adverse immune reaction it is likely to take much longer.

10. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I seem to recall that, in the initial vaccine trial, a small number of people reported side effects --- when they unblinded the trial they found that there was a higher number in the placebo group (saline injection?) compared to the group which was vaccinated.

11. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A Swedish humour/documentary show on public service TV, 18 minutes long.

Skav: Soten och boten
    https://www.svtplay.se/video/35061351/skav/skav-soten-och-boten-soten-och-boten

12. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Moved post

https://www.frontiersin.org/article...ET&utm_campaign=ECO_FNEUR_XXXXXXXX_auto-dlvri

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2022
    Snow Leopard likes this.
  13. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

14. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

moved post

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0929664621005957#fig1

Husband with ME diagnosed in 2006 but ill for years before.

2 weeks ago he developed a bad rash but declined getting it looked at (.....you know how men can be....!). I thought it looked like potentially a viral rash....
    Phoned 111 yesterday, who I must say were very good and responsive and referred locally to out of hours doctor. Appointment, straight in no messing about at 4.30[m.

Diagnosed Pityriasis rosea- linked with herpes which he has had badly in last 5 years.

So after others locally had had similar following vaccination, I found this FYI

[​IMG]
    Journal of the Formosan Medical Association
    Volume 121, Issue 5, May 2022, Pages 1003-1007
    [​IMG]
    Case Report
    Pityriasis Rosea-like eruptions following COVID-19 mRNA-1273 vaccination: A case report and literature review
    Author links open overlay panelChii-ShyanWangaHsuan-HsiangChenb
    Shih-HaoLiuc

a
    Department of Dermatology, En Chu Kong Hospital, New Taipei City, Taiwan
    b
    Department of Dermatology, National Taiwan University Hospital and National Taiwan University College of Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan
    c
    Department of Pathology, En Chu Kong Hospital, New Taipei City, Taiwan
    Received 15 September 2021, Revised 20 October 2021, Accepted 28 December 2021, Available online 5 January 2022, Version of Record 22 April 2022.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2022
  15. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: May 25, 2022
    MeSci, Hutan, TigerLilea and 2 others like this.
  16. Binkie4

Abstract from NIH study #871

upload_2022-5-25_17-41-33.png

Last edited: May 25, 2022
    mango, Hutan, Sean and 3 others like this.
  17. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

18. Binkie4

On my facebook page has arrived a link to a UK group for those with vaccine injuries. They already seem to be in touch with a firm of solicitors with a view to investigating legal action.

Many of the grievances are around lack of or poor medical care even when diseases such as guillain barre are eventually diagnosed.

Last edited: May 28, 2022
  19. Ali

Ali Established Member

"One group of people where I think that is particularly the case is people who have developed long Covid-type symptoms after having the Covid vaccine," Dr Deans added.

"While the Covid vaccine has saved lots of lives and at population level has been a good thing, we're now uncovering evidence that some people are developing this same kind of presentation - long Covid - after the vaccine, and it seems that has triggered it."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-61617044

Even mentions autoimmunity, mast cell activation & micro-clotting!

Last edited: May 28, 2022
  20. Binkie4

From the Daily Telegraph

AstraZeneca vaccine may increase risk of serious neurological condition

Scientists believe the jab’s Trojan horse delivery system could be causing a rise in Guillain-Barré syndrome cases

BySarah Knapton, SCIENCE EDITOR28 May 2022 • 5:26pm

The AstraZeneca vaccine may increase the risk of the serious neurological condition Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS) with the jab’s Trojan horse delivery system possibly to blame, scientists believe, in a discovery which may apply to similar vaccines.

Like many vaccines, the Oxford jab uses a weakened chimp adenovirus to deliver the coronavirus spike protein into the body, and scientists have speculated that a reaction to adenovirus may be responsible for the rise in cases.

"'The EMA and other international bodies including the WHO, have all stated that the benefits of vaccination continue to outweigh any potential risks.”