1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Covid-19 related treatment and other scams

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Tia, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Moved from this thread.

Amused to see MMS mentioned again - remember the Miracle Mineral Solution that was supposed to cure us of ME? And that turned out to be bleach?

Seems they're the ones whispering in Trump's ear about the wonders of bleach against - you guessed it - COVID19.

From the Guardian article: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...eddling-bleach-cure-lobbied-trump-coronavirus

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2020
  2. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

DISCREDITED VIRUS RESEARCHER PUSHES CORONAVIRUS DISINFORMATION
    May 7, 2020
    full press release here
    https://www.meaction.net/2020/05/07/discredited-virus-researcher-pushes-coronavirus-misinformation/

Woolie, EzzieD, lycaena and 2 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

4. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Unfortunately important to get ahead of this as there could be attempts to marginalize us further by associating us with this.

The people involved in this make it clear it's just conspiracy theory galore. It's pushed a lot in some... unsavory... political circles with lots of overlap with anti-5G and anti-vaccine nonsense.

lunarainbows and Invisible Woman like this.
  6. Sly Saint

another one taking advantage of the situation and hijacking ME awareness day
    FREE Access to Dr. Jenny Tufenkian's: Flu Prevention and Treatment - 5 Naturopathic Strategies for Beating the Flu
    https://www.drjennytufenkian.com/

May 12

CFS/ME International Awareness Day: LIVE with Dr. Jenny Tufenkian

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/cfsme-...-with-dr-jenny-tufenkian-tickets-104361528140

another one using a white coat and stethascope to make them look as though they are qualified....

see also:
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/situation-in-germany-remains-dire.11006/page-3#post-258239

Invisible Woman likes this.
  7. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

IMO it's probably wise to try to get out ahead of this, rather than risk ignoring a conspiracy theory related to CFS research that seems to be gaining traction in the general public causing harm to ME advocacy efforts. Seems like a really complicated situation to respond to, but I'm glad they're trying to grapple with it.

8. Sly Saint

It would appear that Phil Parker is now genuinely 'qualified' as a Dr, and as described in his recent article in the Sun newspaper 'a researcher at the London Metropolitan University'.
    This is his doctorate thesis from last year:

http://repository.londonmet.ac.uk/5221/
    (there is a link to a 393 page document):

Hutan, Ash, MSEsperanza and 1 other person like this.
  9. hinterland

hinterland Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Exercise can boost your immune system, but only do it if you feel well." Controversial statement, from Phil Parker, there! Isn't that at odds with his previous work on ME/CFS? Well, at least we're off the hook now: if we've got symptoms we no longer need to admonish ourselves for not being well enough to exercise, phew!! Or is it still one rule for M.E. patients and another rule for the rest of society? The current situation with the NICE statement withdrawing graded exercise from post-covid recommendations but not ME/CFS, might suggest that.

10. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've reported this video to Youtube as a scam but they don't appear to have taken any action as yet.

ukxmrv, Sly Saint, Tia and 3 others like this.
  11. Tia

Tia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for reporting it, I will do the same. I'm unsure whether it will have any affect though.

I think the main problems with this video are:

1) He doesn't introduce himself and make it clear that he is not a medical professional or scientist.
    2) He doesn't explicitly state that his explanation is just his pet theory and is not backed up by evidence.
    3) It is not clear watching it that this video is an advert for his 'program'.

Unfortunately with regards to the second point I think he does actually cover himself by calling it 'this model' at one point. I think that many viewers won't pick up on this though and will assume he is a doctor simply explaining the accepted understanding of CPCS.

A complaint against him to advertising standards was upheld in 2018: https://www.asa.org.uk/rulings/harley-street-solutions-ltd-a17-400324.html . Also, a video he released at the start of the covid outbreak claiming that his approach could reduce the risk of you catching covid was taken down by him (presumably after complaints).

He's very clever in this video, he brings in just enough 'science' to convince the unsuspecting viewer that he is an expert. He refers to his 'clinic' which means nothing but sounds professional. He speaks in a way that makes him sound knowledgeable. I'm not sure he says anything that could be legally challenged though? What do you think?

mango, Sly Saint, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  12. Art Vandelay

It looks like the video has been taken down (as far as I can see?).

ukxmrv and rvallee like this.
  13. Sly Saint

it now says it's a private video and you need to sign in to view it. I imagine somewhere he will have posted how. At least it's not immediately available to everyone now.

Art Vandelay and Trish like this.
  14. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

Too much turmeric, methi, vitamin D — Doctors fight new emergencies driven by Covid fear

https://theprint.in/health/too-much...-new-emergencies-driven-by-covid-fear/495557/

15. Sly Saint

another one

Total Life Energy Plan Becomes The First-Ever Complete Healing System For CFS
    Posted: Sep 07, 2020

"the leading expert": I've never heard of her, has anyone else?

http://www.wboc.com/story/42598239/...the-firstever-complete-healing-system-for-cfs

Invisible Woman and rvallee like this.
  16. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Massachusetts based - would hope the ME group there have this on their radar - maybe worth contacting them in case they can put in a complaint of some sort?

Invisible Woman, Alton and Trish like this.
  17. Art Vandelay

I seem to recall this person or someone close to them created multiple accounts to sneakily promote their website and videos on the r/cfs subreddit on Reddit by posting fake positive reviews. The moderators ended up deleting all their posts.

Meanwhile Mr Gupta has reposted his video claiming that he knows the cause of post-covid fatigue and that it presumably can be treated with the Gupta Program. (It was taken down initially after complaints were made.)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  18. Sly Saint

hmm title of the video
    What Causes Chronic Post-Covid-19 Syndrome (CPCS)? | Ashok Gupta | Gupta Program |
    seems to imply he is the cause. :laugh:

19. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I love that aside from careless language, this reads exactly like the behavioral model. Not just similar to, it's the exact same substance, just with a less refined sales pitch.

The only difference between some quacks and other quacks is the echo that does or does not return.

Seems to be based on TCM and the "energy" is basically chi:
    Cochrane has several reviews on acupuncture, even had a review on Chinese herbs for CFS. This is not much different. When medical authorities promote their own quackery, what's the difference between unofficial woo and official woo? When they sing together it still adds up to woowoo.

Invisible Woman and Arnie Pye like this.
  20. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Yep all those slightly overripe pieces of fruit have been turned into a wonderful ‘fresh’ salad.

Invisible Woman, Arnie Pye and Alton like this.