1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

COVID-19 is viewed as severe as Tumor and HIV; Perceptions towards Covid- 19 (includes CFS comparison), 2020, Menebo - preprint

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Dolphin, Aug 15, 2020.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.researchgate.net/public...and_HIV_Perceptions_towards_Covid-19_Preprint

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2020
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

CFS is included in the following data:

Possibly others in the final draft; the creation of the PDF seems to have caused some formatting errors.

Kitty and Yessica like this.
  3. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for posting this. It looks like people underestimate CFS.

upload_2020-8-15_8-55-32.png

Starlight, Dolphin, Hutan and 9 others like this.
  4. dreampop

dreampop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yikes, but I guess it's higher than I would've expected.

It, and I don't want to sound harsh, but it strikes me that the immense success of the psychology sector has been to popularize and sympathize with common psychological diagnosis while destroying the "functional" ones. We have apps now here in the U.S., and when ever someone encounters the slightest emotion, it the first thing said "you should see someone" (this is a therapist). It's on T.V., social media, an easy character trait in a book or movie etc. This, combined with the fact that everyone has depression, anxiety or stress to some degree and the natural bias to sympathize with something someone has themself experienced has lead to even common depression often described as an immensely serious condition.

And it can be in extreme cases, but often the mild and very mild are conflated in and it has become what it is on this graph, worse than diabetes. I'm sure many people with mild periodic depression believe it is worse than chronic asthma.

I don't want to trivialize those 3 illnesses at all. At their worst, they can devastate a person's life, but perhaps look at the cultural and subjective reasons they might but slightly below AIDS. I know people who really believe that about them in their mild forms.

I also find this might be true about Migraine - a chunk of the population doesn't get them and some get them maybe once a year. They can't understand what those with daily severe migraine go through.

alktipping, rvallee, sebaaa and 5 others like this.
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't take this too seriously. It seems to be based on surveys of a few hundred people scattered around the world. I have no idea why CFS was included as a comparitor, but I'm not surprised it came out quite low on the perceived severity list. Most people probably have not heard of it, and read it as meaning the symptom fatigue, which they consider quite minor.

Tia, alktipping, Snow Leopard and 5 others like this.
  6. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It would be good to have someone comment though. Nancy Klimas ?

Starlight likes this.