1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Cortisol levels in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and atypical depression measured using hair and saliva specimens, 2020, Cleare/Chalder/others

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Dolphin, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think lots of things might mask the onset of ME. My own clinical picture was confused by hypothyroidism and borderline a anaemia. My hypothyroidism wasn't well managed as the GP at the time felt TSH and T4 levels in "normal" range should relieve all symptoms.

Then we have the effect where early signs of other conditions are misdiagnosed as ME. I've met a couple of MS patients who lived with an ME diagnosis for years when they had MS.

Arnie Pye, Simbindi, Anna H and 5 others like this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was curious about what is atypical depression and it's frankly a mishmash of non-specific things that likely include quite many mild CFS patients but also a very random assortment of unrelated things:
    Honestly really looks like about 90% of mental health research is a bunch of pseudo-random guesses and attempts to fit various things in boxes for the purpose of having boxes filled with stuff. No one understands anything about this stuff, the field is about at the stage cosmology was in the middle ages, mostly guesses, mostly wrong and not useful for much but damn are those celestial sphere pretty and awe-inspiring.

Arnie Pye, Simbindi, unicorn7 and 9 others like this.
  3. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A bit like astrology really - make enough sufficiently vague statements applicable to much of the population, and people end up thinking it's science!

4. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

MEMarge likes this.
  5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

6. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The paper writes:
    Weird how they got this all wrong. The whole point of the SSD construct was to stop the association between somatisation and medically unexplained symptoms. So SSD can be diagnosed as a comorbidity in patients with cancer, heart disease or CFS - it doesn't matter if symptoms are explained or not. Dimsdale et al. who presented the new SSD construct wrote that "It deemphasizes the centrality of medically unexplained symptoms and defines the disorder on the basis of persistent somatic symptoms associated with disproportionate thoughts, feelings, and behaviors related to these symptoms."

The authors of this seemed to have really misinterpreted SSD, unless they actually wanted to make the suggestion that CFS is a psychiatric disorder characterized not by symptoms but by disproportionate thoughts, feelings, and behaviors.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    Amw66, Sly Saint, Simbindi and 13 others like this.
  7. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Yes

8. unicorn7

unicorn7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was looking for the definition of a-typical depression, but there it is. So, it’s pretty much nothing specific? Random symptoms?

Invisible Woman and Simbindi like this.
  9. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)