1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus - worldwide spread and control

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Patient4Life, Jan 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder if one factor could be that people living in areas with the highest population densities are more likely to be housed in overcrowded accommodation, poorer, and in worse health (e.g., living with obesity and/or diabetes) to begin with? Obviously this doesn't work in every case – in London there are high rise buildings where apartments cost millions – but in most cities it is generally the rule.

Language barriers may also be a factor. Locally the provision of information in South Asian languages seems to have been reasonably good, but a Polish neighbour told me she's worried that there is little or no provision in European languages. I suspect the same applies to languages spoken by some refugee communities.

Apologies if you're actually talking about global death ratios, @Barry, rather than communities in the UK. I've been away a few days, and am still catching up...

Michelle, Invisible Woman and Barry like this.
  2. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Mainly talking about the suggestion there might be higher death-to-cases ratios in more densely populated countries.

And I agree. There could be a huge number of factors involved, including whether statistics are validly comparable between countries. If one country records a death as covid related, because they died of heart failure and covid was contributory to that, would all countries necessarily do the same? And what if a country records it as covid related if the person previously was infected but now apparently recovered? May simply be that comparisons between countries won't be sensible for quite some time yet.

3. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The overcrowding issue could be that if one person in a family gets ill in a 4 bedroom house they can stay in their room so no one else gets infected by them, or the chances are lower at least. If there are lots of people but few rooms, isolation is not possible.

They also said that where lots of families use one entrance way then opportunities for infection are higher than getting in a car in your own garage.

I am sure there are lots of small factors that add together.

4. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't know if this is propaganda or not. Based on the comments it's not very popular, that's for sure.

Title : The future is ‘CLEAR’ and it’s Dystopian: Virus hype ushers in a Covid 19-84 nightmare of restricted access

Link : https://www.rt.com/op-ed/497272-clear-health-pass-covid-dystopian/

Invisible Woman, Michelle and Wonko like this.
  5. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Do I need to fill in a form to state non compliance?

As not being allowed to use restaurants, sports venues, or travel, sounds like it matches my lifestyle pretty much perfectly.

Tailor made for excuses for people who don't want to waste resources to do things others want them to, but keep getting socially obligated to do so ;)

So...I'm weird right?

6. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It seems at first glance to be as much distorted messaging, possibly from marketing, as much as hype. Its about one possible way things can go to the exclusion of a myriad of others. Even with apps its not clear one will dominate and then dominate legal restrictions. Its highly unlikely.

Vaccination status is going to matter a lot though. Anyone choosing not to vaccinate, who is negative for antibodies, will most likely face international travel restrictions plus certain jobs and professions might be barred. However you need to take this into the context that travellers often have to be vaccinated already, and so do certain professions such as doctors, nurses and paramedics.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

RT is what Pravda was to the USSR so likely propaganda. But good propaganda is always a distortion of the truth so there may be underlying facts to this but the source has an agenda, is not news media.

8. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Genomic epidemiology reveals transmission patterns and dynamics of SARS-CoV-2 in Aotearoa New Zealand

Jemma L Geoghegan et al

Preprint Aug 2020

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.08.05.20168930v2
    And to mark 100 days without community transmission - how long can this lucky streak last? - a couple of articles on how it was done and what needs to still be done to keep it that way.

100 days without COVID-19: how New Zealand got rid of a virus that keeps spreading across the world

https://theconversation.com/100-day...-that-keeps-spreading-across-the-world-143672

Successful Elimination of Covid-19 Transmission in New Zealand

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2025203

9. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02277-6

10. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Another article, this time from NPR (National Public Radio), discussing viral dose and viral load (I actually thought those meant the same thing - oops!) and how wearing a mask affects those.

The study using hamsters separated by surgical masks (it's not like they could train the hamsters to wear masks;)) was interesting.

Link to audio:
    https://www.npr.org/2020/08/04/898915882/wearing-a-mask-could-be-even-more-important-than-we-thought

Link to transcript:
    https://www.npr.org/transcripts/898915882

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    Kitty, merylg, Mij and 6 others like this.
  11. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We've just had some breaking news here in New Zealand. Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has just announced that we have community transmission in Auckland, 4 have tested positive. As a precautionary Auckland is going into lockdown at alert level 3 and the rest of the country will go into lockdown level 2 at midday tomorrow (Wednesday).

Kitty, merylg, ukxmrv and 7 others like this.
  12. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

13. Daisybell

Daisybell Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And they have no idea how the virus spread to that family - it’s four family members who have tested positive. So far, no links to managed isolation facilities or to people who have been in quarantine have been identified. So it’s entirely possible that there is more significant unidentified community transmission going on.... which seemed on the cards when the government started encouraging us to go out and buy masks recently.

Kitty, merylg, Wits_End and 4 others like this.
  14. Leila

Leila Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As in many countries there seems to be a divide in society getting deeper pushed by a probably small yet loud minority.

The biggest initiative is based in my hometown (seems like we Swabians love to protest).

I see people wearing shirts with their logo on now and keep extra distance bc they likely don't fear for themselves nor care for my wellbeing thinking Corona is one big hoax.

I hope this nonsense will somehow stop soon.

Kitty, TiredSam, merylg and 4 others like this.
  15. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

As long as the idiots keep wearing the t shirts @Leila at least then you know to give them some extra metres.

Kitty, merylg, Michelle and 6 others like this.
  16. anciendaze

anciendaze Senior Member (Voting Rights)

New Zealand's bad news is that they still don't know how this family was infected. They may have community spread.

Meanwhile, the U.S. is busy putting children back in schools with inadequate protection, testing and tracing. Nonsense about children being immune, or suffering no serious consequences, is widespread. Major newspapers have written about new data from the CDC and American Academy of Pediatrics on COVID-19 in children, but I can't tell if you will hit paywalls. Here's an account I hope you can read. Children make up only 8.8% of U.S. cases, but the number of pediatric cases shot way up in July. This is not a negligible number. Few children have died, but we have reliable data on pediatric hospitalizations, showing this is not a trivial illness. It appears that about the same percentage of hospitalized children need ICU care as adults.

All this argument bypasses the role of children, with or without apparent symptoms, as carriers of infection. Children necessarily have parents, etc. I'm afraid we are looking at more superspreader events in the near future. The Georgia school which made news last week for ignoring distancing recommendations, has isolated 200 people after testing revealed active cases, they are now back to remote learning.

Another potential superspreader event I referenced is a meeting of thousands of motorcyclists in Sturgis South Dakota. An old friend suggested these were competing for Darwin Awards. What he failed to comprehend was the effect they have on others. Most people who ride motorcycles long distances are in fairly robust health. It is hardly speculation to suggest they may pass the infection they pick up to people who took no such risks.

Kitty, merylg, Michelle and 4 others like this.
  17. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is from 5 years old in Scotland. My grandson has one with teeth on and his 3 year old brother is really jealous!

Kitty, ladycatlover, merylg and 4 others like this.
  18. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My guess is that there is a high chance that this new cluster is due to imported goods, maybe stuff bought on the internet. New Zealand have been very lucky to keep free of community spread and I think it very likely that they will be able to restore the situation of no spread. However, there was always the issue of imported goods nand the risks will have risen as infection rates have risen. I wonder if NZ is importing fresh produce that cannot be grown at home in August.

Kitty, ladycatlover, merylg and 7 others like this.
  19. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think I find that more worrying than anything ...

Kitty, Keela Too and Sean like this.
  20. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As, it would appear, is the UK.

Kitty and Leila like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.