1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus: Advice from ME organisations

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Eagles, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

One possibly useful tip I have not seen anywhere is that picking the timing of shopping (in a general supermarket at least) can greatly reduce the numbers of people there, and hence presumably your exposure risk (though surfaces will probably still be quite risky, especially late at night after a day's worth of customers have been through).

I often go late in the night or at the crack of dawn anyway, in the last/first hour of business, because there are just a lot less people there, and a lot less waiting time in queues.

Also, if you go during sunlight hours and need a trolley, see if you can find one that is sitting in the sun in the car park. Direct sunlight is a powerful disinfectant. (No guarantees though. :whistle: )

Wits_End, JaneL, 2kidswithME and 2 others like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A lot of staple foods are fortified with vitamins. I very much doubt there is any need. I used to look after many people with arthritis who had pretty limited diets and vitamin deficiency was not an issue. I think it is much more sensible to eat a bit of fruit and veg now and again to be honest.

3. Denise

Denise Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread
    Even though this was developed for people in Ireland, there's lots that is applicable to caregivers everywhere.
    Creating a Backup Plan:

Covid-19 and Family Carers
    It is vital that family carers develop an emergency/backup plan which can be used if a family carer cannot provide care in the home. We have collated some information here which may be useful for family carers in planning for such an event. ....

https://www.carealliance.ie/Covid19

[Thanks to everyone who worked on this!]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2020
  4. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Before I had ME I used to go to the supermarket at lunch-time. No right-thinking German goes to the supermarket at lunchtime, so I usually had the place to myself.

Woolie, Sean, shak8 and 9 others like this.
  5. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

The problem comes if everyone is trying to shop when no one is shopping and going at quiet times. Then perhaps peak times will be quiet.

6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I just went online to order our next supermarket delivery from Tesco (UK). We can usually get a delivery time slot in the next day or two. On their website there were no slots at all available for the next 3 weeks and no booking slots available after that yet. Luckily my daughter decided to try their App on her phone, and got a slot for one week away.

And I'm glad we have been stocking up over the last few weeks, so we have enough food for about 3 weeks anyway. Our plan was to do a normal sized shop for delivery from a local supermarket from now on about once a week to keep us always a couple of weeks ahead. That looks like it might prove difficult. Oh well there's always Amazon.

7. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

snap. I just tried to do the same. And there were (among a lot of things) no loo rolls available.
    Also the local shop only had a delivery yesterday and many things were already sold out. madness.

8. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

9. Jonathan Edwards

I think that is a bit misleading These are just drugs being investigated. Nobody nows if they have any value at all. They are not for clinical use.

10. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I sorry if this isn't in the correct thread not sure where else to put it, but I hope someone is pointing out to the DWP that they need to be looking at stopping reassessments for people self isolating. Home visits from assessors & going to an assessment centre both puts vulnerable people at risk. No doubt they'd be less than unhappy about that. I appreciate they need to assess new claimants somehow but how are they going to avoid making people risk their lives in order to get their money?

11. boolybooly

Well there must be something in it, ribavirin and interferon beta have been "under investigation" for coronavirus since 2013 and the ECDC say they have been initiated against SARS-COV-2.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23594967

You would have thought they would have an idea by now. In vitro is promising and they would presumably not be trying them if there were contraindications or signs of uselessness in vivo.

Lets hope they come up with some helpful advice on a relevant timescale.

12. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

13. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have seen that in China and Italy, drugs are being tried on a compassionate basis and within trials as well.
    Will this happen in the UK, at least until the trials are finished? (I fear the answer may be no.)

14. Jonathan Edwards

People go on flogging a dead horse in science for decades.

15. Jonathan Edwards

One of the leading authorities on IL-6 and tocilizumab in the UK had herself treated with it for a condition off label and she very nearly died, I think from acute respiratory distress.

It might work but it might make things much worse. We need trials other than off label usage.

Michelle, Woolie, hinterland and 12 others like this.
  16. Jonathan Edwards

Properly controlled trials should be set up but I suspect that bureaucracy will get in the way. The real problem is that the service is so flat on its back that nobody will have time to even think of setting up trials. If the policy had been to lock down and slow things down realistically then these things might have got set up.

17. boolybooly

JaneL and lunarainbows like this.
  18. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

19. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dr. Shepherd from the ME Association:
    @Tom Kindlon

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    MeSci, Hutan, Michelle and 4 others like this.
  20. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm a bit confused about how much risk there is in just walking about outside and passing other pedestrians on the pavement. I've gone into social isolation but am attempting to stop myself going nuts by at least getting out of my flat.

But am I putting myself at risk?

MeSci, JaneL, Invisible Woman and 2 others like this.