1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus: Advice from ME organisations

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Eagles, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My understanding is that the risk would be minimal if they are not coughing, you keep 3 feet away and try not to breathe just as you pass them.

I am significantly concerned about dogs since they are likely to be able to carry the virus on a wet nose and if not on a lead to tend rub up against everyone. I think it would make sense if governments introduced a requirement for dogs being on leads.

ukxmrv, MeSci, Wits_End and 9 others like this.
  2. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have been pondering this myself. I think it may depend on the location. Our dog is walked in a rural environment and there is no need for contact with other humans. He doesn't rush up to people, just trots by.

We do occasionally get people, especially kids, wanting to say hi to him. Normally we're happy to oblige, but now.....not such a good idea.

On the rare occasions I do go out, I spend as much time petting other people's dogs. Again, this behaviour will have to change. Both for my own sake and the other owners.

Unless giving a treat to another dog I don't tend to touch their nose, though some dogs will push their noses into other people's hands. I am more concerned about the virus sitting on the fur, about the head, shoulders and back of the dog - where people are most likely to stroke them.

This will be as much of an issue for cat owners I think. Who knows where cats go, surfaces they walk on and people who pet them.

MeSci, TrixieStix, Sean and 1 other person like this.
  3. Invisible Woman

Just phoned my vets. The receptionist reckons they have some paperwork on it - probably just come through.

Anyway she's going to check and come back to me. I'll update you.

JaneL likes this.
  4. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've been holding my breath as people approach and until well after they've passed so I hope I'll be OK...

I wonder why people are being ordered off the streets in Spain and France? Would that be because the authorities just don't trust people to stay far enough apart?

Invisible Woman likes this.
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Probably to prevent crowds.

6. yME

yME Established Member (Voting Rights)

A little black posting.

This maybe worth a separate section? But I don’t know how to achieve that.

But it’s probably worth considering your will? While here in uk the post office sell simple wills, the chance to put in place anything complicated has probably passed. So I have suggested to our challenged family that they put together a simple statement of their wishes and distribute it via email. At least it’s dated and likely to be from them. Wether, this would stand legal challenge is for later. But either way it’s a good stab for those who do not have anything in place in these exceptional times. Very clearly the traditional paper and uninvolved witnessed would be stronger should the worst occur. Delaying until one has fever or are incompetent would be undesirable. Plan, prepare and execute.

I have no legal experience, except to say a late parent did this statement of wish to clarify their existing will. As an executor it made my work a lot clearer and comforting that I was Certainly doing the right thing. The solicitor made no comment.

MeSci, Amw66, Hutan and 6 others like this.
  7. Leila

Leila Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had my will/patient's provision done years ago and put it in a prepared hospital bag I always have on hand, just in case.

I have no interest in getting intubated or anything and hope that will be respected. It's a grim topic but it gives me peace to have it, even if I didn't have ME. You just never know.

Edit: It has recently been discussed in this morning show with nurses - they too recommend to discuss this within families.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    MeSci, Sean, JaneL and 2 others like this.
  8. Sasha

Not necessarily. I phoned my solicitor about updating my will and we're doing it by mail. Of course, I'll have to get witnesses to my signature but will do that in the open air and with us all six feet apart at any one time (a bit like that puzzle where you have to get a fox, a rabbit and a cabbage across the river in a boat with room for only two things, without the rabbit or the cabbage getting eaten).

Wits_End, Sean, JaneL and 2 others like this.
  9. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

Is there a risk of picking up the virus from touching surfaces. For example, lift buttons, hand rails etc. I was assuming this was the bigger risk when going to places with people.

Wits_End, JaneL, Leila and 1 other person like this.
  10. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Another thing to remember when wiping down surfaces in your home, let it sit for at least 5 minutes before wiping it away.

TrixieStix, JaneL and Invisible Woman like this.
  11. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am not sure that there is proof of that but it seems sensible to assume it is a major hazard.

Sarah94, TrixieStix, JaneL and 2 others like this.
  12. Sasha

Is there any dependable advice online about how exactly to clean things at home (i.e. with what products, how long to let things sit, etc.)?

Sarah94 likes this.
  13. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is information that Harvard puts out:
    And this is what the WHO says:

14. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I use this ratio from the CDC website:

4 teaspoons bleach per quart of water in a spray bottle.

JaneL, Leila, Invisible Woman and 2 others like this.
  15. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.s4me.info/threads/what-me-charities-would-you-leave-a-bequest-to.11393/
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/thank...o-remember-me-cfs-causes-in-their-wills.1231/

Hutan, JaneL and Invisible Woman like this.
  16. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

17. Invisible Woman

So I've just heard back from.the vets. They say the honest answer is no one really knows how long the virus can live on the fur etc. Obviously they can't easily be wiped down!

So if you are vulnerable / have extra concerns then it's best not to let others pet your animal, if it can possibly be avoided.

It might also be advisable not to stroke or touch other people's animals.

Lastly, as always, wash your hands.

Sarah94, Sean, JaneL and 2 others like this.
  18. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Articles that I've read say that doctors think most transmission has been person to person.

Also, the information I've read says to keep a distance of 6 feet, not 3 feet.

But surfaces are not zero risk! So, clean your counters, wipe down your phone, wash your hands, etc.

Some articles about how long the virus can last on surfaces:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...surfaces-for-2-3-days-heres-how-to-clean-them

https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...54a99e-6472-11ea-845d-e35b0234b136_story.html

19. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Also, try to only go out when the sun it shining, as UV is a very effective disinfectant. And pay attention to the wind direction.

@Sasha

A good rule of thumb I have heard is that if you can smell the bleach in the solution, it is strong enough for general disinfection. No need to overdo the strength.

Be aware that bleach (i.e. chlorine) and stainless are not a good mix. Chlorine based compounds degrade stainless quite effectively (and aren't the best for most other metals either). Other standard household disinfectants (e.g. alcohol or ammonia based) should be fine on stainless.

Keep bleach for glass and plastic.

Good old fashioned heat is also excellent at disinfecting. So any cooked food should be safe, if eaten before it cools down. (The figure I saw for coronavirus is 60ºC for 30 min. Sorry, can't find the source. Bring to a simmer for 1 minute will definitely do it.)

Also, once you have been properly isolated for a few days (including no incoming food stuff, etc), any surface virus in the house should have died off, so you probably don't need to be quite as vigilant inside the house after that initial period. Any non-urgent mail can just be left for a few days spread out on the floor in the spare room before opening. Etc. You get the idea.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    JaneL, hinterland, AliceLily and 5 others like this.
  20. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I presume you mean stainless steel?

Invisible Woman likes this.