1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The science of craniocervical instability and other spinal issues and their possible connection with ME/CFS - discussion thread

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by ME/CFS Skeptic, May 23, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

With all due respect, this doesn't make sense at all.
    Rituximab & surgery are not easily accessible treatments. They are both potentialy dangerous and none of them should be advertised as long as they have not been tested properly.

2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How is a doctor prescribing any different from a surgeon operating? Both involve a medical decision not based on good evidence.

Before the surgeons do anything more in the way of a 'trial' I think it would be good for them to publish the images that they based their treatment on, co-authorihg with some radiologists who know what they are doing.

TigerLilea, vsou, Mithriel and 10 others like this.
  3. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I mean, I had a look just now on one of those online pharmacies, and they were selling rituximab. So yeah. Much more easily obtainable than surgery.

And my other point is, the number of doctors who theoretically could (irresponsibly, yes) prescribe rituximab, is much higher than the number of surgeons who could theoretically carry out CCI surgery.

MEMarge likes this.
  4. Cheshire

So does that prevent to warn that surgery for CFS is not evidence based?

Edit: change for clarity

TrixieStix likes this.
  5. Jonathan Edwards

I am sure you can get scalpels and forceps on line too - it is exactly the same. All the people who accessed rituximab did so through a medical professional.

No. There are thousands of neurosurgeons who could do the procedure. At least as many as there are quacks to prescribe rituximab off label.

anniekim, vsou, TrixieStix and 6 others like this.
  6. Jonathan Edwards

It may be worth pondering that there are good reasons for thinking that certain physicians in California are involved in both the off label use of rituximab and referral for neck surgery.

7. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Translation from the link:

upload_2019-11-6_10-0-41.png

upload_2019-11-6_10-1-9.png
    upload_2019-11-6_10-1-32.png

Binkie4, TiredSam, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  8. Sarah94

Sorry I'm probably being thick but I don't understand the phrase "prevent to warn"?

9. Cheshire

prevent from warning? Sorry English is not my first language.

Binkie4 and ladycatlover like this.
  10. Jonathan Edwards

Another relevant point is that drugs require licensing, Operations do not. Irresponsible use of surgery is 100 times easier than irresponsible use of drugs.

TrixieStix, Michelle, Anna H and 3 others like this.
  11. Sarah94

No worries :) I suspect you mean "preclude from warning"?

If so, my answer is: no, I am not saying that that precludes from making a warning.

12. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

From that translation it appears the surgeons have no idea what ME is. They give the Oxford definition of 6 months unexplained fatigue.

I don't know when they first started doing these operations, but shouldn't they give it a couple of years follow up before claiming cures? Some people do things like LP and think they are cured, go back to work, and months later crash to a worse state than before.

13. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Trish yes, exactly. The article also doesn't mention POTS, active viruses or any other comorbid conditions that Jeff and Jen recovered from.

Or previous surgeries such as thyroid cancer or dental surgery that may have brought on their underlying 'instability' issues.

14. Guest 102

Guest 102 Guest

Interestingly, the surgeon who assessed Jennifer was unaware of ‘concept of PEM’ when he was first evaluating her for CCI, so I am assuming, at that time, he was also unaware of ME?

Though I do not at all think J’s surgeon was trying to resolve ME with surgery. I understand he was more resolving CCI (which, in turn, of course, Jen is certain was cause of her own ME).

I highlighted the PEM quote here.

64B24950-229E-42C6-8152-E25D1C74BBF4.jpeg

I do wonder what the Spanish neurosurgeons' understanding of ME/its different criteria is? And do all their fifteen patients also have EDS?

*Edited to add last sentence

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2019
    Three Chord Monty likes this.
  15. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Note from the moderation team:

The moderation team has been dealing with a large number of reports from this thread from members, both those supporting Jen Brea's stance on CCI and those critical of it.

Although Jen is nominally still a member here, she has declared herself no longer a participant on the forum, so Rule 1 is being interpreted more loosely in this case. It is her public role unrelated to posting on the forum that is the issue of concern to members in this discussion.

We have precedents for allowing criticism of public actions and statements of forum members who have a high public profile, for example AfME. We believe that it is in the interests of the ME community that the CCI issue and Jen's promotion of it are discussed in a similarly open fashion.

Of course, there is still a requirement that criticisms of anyone are factually based, relevant to the topic under discussion and not unduly personal.

TigerLilea, JohnTheJack, sea and 15 others like this.
  16. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In general, to me, this thread does not seem to be very useful or rewarding. It seems to be degenerating into some type of tribal dispute.

If you don't want the CCI operation, then please, by all means, don't have one. If people want the operation with INFORMED CONSENT, then power to them. Sure, it's possible that people are being misled by ignorant rapacious surgeons, but some people have also mysteriously improved.

With respect to Jen Brea, I have better things to do with my somewhat reduced life than police her twitter threads. Can you think of another person who has done as much to bring attention to this disease?

Secondly, unfortunately, this thread is also bringing out the "ME versus CFS" people.

As mentioned earlier....
    If you keep dividing this disease until the only people who really have "it" are the people who have had enteroviral infections, then I wish you good luck with your fundraising efforts.

I just spent some time on twitter and the "ME vs. CFS" thing is popping up again, where of course, anyone doesn't have the classic "ME", is a wastebasket. The larger you make your "wastebasket", the more political support you will engender.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2019
    Dr Carrot, Guest 2176, sb4 and 4 others like this.
  17. JES

JES Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah, agreed. I'm more interested in what are going to be the next steps in this CCI thing. A trial sounds good at first, but I presume there are no blinded trials with placebo surgeries. If so, wouldn't a trial for CCI surgery carry the same weakness as the unblinded smaller rituximab trial? It seems to me a trial would in any case not give a definite answer in this case.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2019
    Sarah94 likes this.
  18. Sarah94

I guess a trial of a surgery can never be blinded?

19. Jonathan Edwards

Surgical trials can be blinded using sham procedures. That has practical difficulties and major ethical difficulties but it has been done in the past in some situations.

But I am not sure that a trial of surgery is needed. If the surgical immobilisation goes ahead on the basis of there being a relief of symptoms with traction, which I understand is the routine here, then the obvious ting to do is a blinded trial of traction and sham traction - which could include dose response features with partial traction. There are devices that ensure traction 24/7 for extended periods I believe.

Before there is any talk of a trial the clinical and radiological evidence of CCI should be made public in a publication. In fact that evidence should have been public long ago and there should have been a trial of prolonged traction, not surgery.

If an ethical review board (IRB) had ever been involved in this we should have the relevant information now. It looks as if it never was. Why not?

A worrying question is why other neurosurgeons have not called this out. I fear the answer is because neurosurgeons operate without good reasons all the time. I have had one neurosurgical operation that in hindsight I realise I should never have had. Recently I was offered another one but I concluded that there was no good justification for that either. And this was in area of routine surgery of the sort done by the tens of thousands.

20. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Another sort of trial might be to have three groups- 1. healthy controls, 2. people with diagnosed ME with self-reported high level of a list of CCI symptoms/neck trauma history, 3. people with diagnosed ME with self-reported low level of CCI symptoms and relevant history.

Give them all standing MRIs. Then, in a blinded assessment, see if anyone can find any differences.

TigerLilea, LadyBirb, sea and 18 others like this.