1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Coenzyme Q10: Clinical Applications beyond Cardiovascular Diseases, 2021, Testai et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Jun 3, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract
    Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) is an essential cofactor in oxidative phosphorylation (OXPHOS), present in mitochondria and cell membranes in reduced and oxidized forms. Acting as an energy transfer molecule, it occurs in particularly high levels in the liver, heart, and kidneys. CoQ10 is also an anti-inflammatory and antioxidant agent able to prevent the damage induced by free radicals and the activation of inflammatory signaling pathways. In this context, several studies have shown the possible inverse correlation between the blood levels of CoQ10 and some disease conditions. Interestingly, beyond cardiovascular diseases, CoQ10 is involved also in neuronal and muscular degenerative diseases, in migraine and in cancer; therefore, the supplementation with CoQ10 could represent a viable option to prevent these and in some cases might be used as an adjuvant to conventional treatments. This review is aimed to summarize the clinical applications regarding the use of CoQ10 in migraine, neurodegenerative diseases (including Parkinson and Alzheimer diseases), cancer, or degenerative muscle disorders (such as multiple sclerosis and chronic fatigue syndrome), analyzing its effect on patients’ health and quality of life.

Open access, https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/13/5/1697

2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Here's the CFS bit:
    Colour me skeptical. I looked at that Castro-Marrero trial and there was only a tiny effect, and the study was sponsored by a supplement manufacturer. We have a thread on CoQ10 for ME/CFS.

3. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Been there, done that 20 odd years ago. Made zero difference. But then I don't really count fatigue as a primary symptom so......

The Fatigue Impact Score is cropping up a lot in the last day or two, isn't it? Many of the questions seem problematic to me and I don't think it gives a fair representation of "fatigue" or anything else. Frankly, quite puzzled as to why anyone who has any in depth knowledge about ME or CFS would.

Michelle, alktipping, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  4. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Tried it several years ago - took many weeks to have any noticeable effect, if it did, and the 'energy' was fake, attempting to use it caused major PEM - but it did feel like I had more lol.

Useful if something was coming up in a few weeks that I had to be able to function for, but expecting those levels of function for longer than a day or 2, forget it.

Over the years I've found, and forgotten, lots of things that can do similar things, useful as a temporary boost provided I'm prepared for the inevitable fall.

I seem to remember CoQ10 was at the more extreme end, sometimes, very effective but the payback was a 'thing' - and of course sometimes it did squat.

Makes no sense to me now, made no sense to me then, haven't used it for a few years at all.

On my 'don't do this' list lol

5. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I started to take it and thought I felt a bit better but then I went for the weekend to see my son and his family. Three young kids so it was always a challenge but that weekend I felt dreadful with my ME way worse than usual.

When we got home we found the Q10 sitting on the bed where my husband had forgotten to put it into the tablet bag.

Now I think it is a real help to me, not a cure but a help all the same.

Peter Trewhitt and Wonko like this.
  6. Sisyphus

Sisyphus Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was advised that it’s useful to take when also taking statins.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.