1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Closure of reMEmber (the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Society) effective from 31st March 2023.

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Sly Saint, Feb 19, 2023.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

http://www.remembercfs.org.uk/

MEMarge, Hutan, Sean and 9 others like this.
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

More from link:

A MESSAGE FROM THE TRUSTEES:
    reMEmber (the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Society) was founded by Janice and Bill Kent nearly 25 years ago as their response to a lack of awareness of ME and provision for ME patients. Their goal was to educate, raise the profile of ME with health professionals and the general public and lobby for support and services. Always taking a people-focused approach, Janice and Bill created networks of support, practical help and friendship for people living with ME and for their families, running workshops, conferences and training courses to assist people to understand and manage their symptoms. They also worked locally with GPs and NHS services and nationally with policy makers to lobby for investment in clinical services. Their award-winning work is recognized by the wide circle of supporters, patrons and above all the many, many people whose lives have benefited from the positive impact of their work.

The Trustees now judge that reMEmber has achieved its original objectives and will close before 31st March 2023, allowing Janice and Bill to finally enjoy the retirement that should have started over two decades ago.

As Trustees, we would like to give huge thanks to all of the people who have been involved with reMEmber, including: our expert medical advisors; our patrons and supporters; funders and anyone who has helped raised money for us; former Trustees; the people who benefitted from our services and became part of the reMEmber family; and above to Janice and Bill, tireless, committed and wise campaigners who have given so many years and so much care and dedication to make peoples’ lives better.

Simon M, Hutan, Sean and 9 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I confess to knowing nothing about this organisation, having only come across them fairly recently through their listing as part of ForwardME. It sounds like Janice and Bill Kent have made a very worthwhile contribution to many people's lives.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2023
    MEMarge, MeSci, Simon M and 13 others like this.
  4. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, they were active in Forward ME. There are a few smaller charities for which it is not exactly clear how active they are, if at all. I'm glad Remember have made their closure known.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2023
    Hutan, Solstice, Starlight and 5 others like this.
  5. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I came across them several years into my ME journey and Janice was very helpful in providing me with 3 copies of their ( I think quarterly but that may be wrong) magazine to review their work.

I attended an annual meeting in May 2016 I think at which the speakers were Dr Bansal and Charles Shepherd (the first time we saw either) which was very well attended and provided tea and delicious cake. It was some distance from where I live so not repeatable regularly but was always on the possible list of things to do. I saw their names on the list of attendees at Forward ME.

Thank you ReMEmber for the work you have done.

MEMarge, alktipping, Hutan and 9 others like this.
  6. It's M.E. Linda

It's M.E. Linda Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Since the pandemic, I have enjoyed attending their annual conferences because they were run online. Very knowledgeable.
    I hope Bill and Janice can enjoy some well earned retirement.

Ariel, MEMarge, MeSci and 6 others like this.