Clinical support and encouragement versus manipulation (includes motivational interviewing)

Discussion in 'General clinical care' started by Midnattsol, Jul 21, 2023.

1. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I found it manipulative. And the references to "empathy" made me think that people were being trained to "fake it" with their patients.

Lou B Lou, Sean and bobbler like this.
  2. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The whole ‘subject/school’ of behavioural ‘psychology’ is ONLY about the idea of making others do things differently by using various different levels of coercion. Punishment and reward and aversion like electric shocks being its basis.

I’m surprised if isn’t outlawed really when you think about what it involves as a belief and actions but it’s necessary, if studied by the opposite of this type of people (ie not people who believe doing this to others is normal behaviour), because it is so innate in some personality types as a go to they think it’s a good idea.

The cognitive part being added is actually almost more manipulative when you think about it.

so for anything that comes from this school to kid itself that isn’t fundamentally purely what it is at it’s core is actually terrifying delusion to me.

and, partly because almost certainly the ‘expert’ might be using an incorrect and opposite understanding of ME to what is correct, but also because of some of the pretty weird approaches this starts to be - this (the Leeds one) gets really manipulative and strange and ‘off course’ about half way through - it isn’t even the same ‘up front and honest’ or ‘helping someone tackle it head on’ CBT that was actually first developed and got its reputation for being successful eg in things like phobias.

it’s just a twisted thing that instead of being good CBT based on a sound model due to those doing it genuinely being curious and interested (because in phobia eg the issue is ‘in the patient’ as far as if the listener doesn’t hear what they describe and get that fear and what’s behind it they don’t know what they are treating) it’s just plain old manipulation mixed with thicko paternalism assuming whatever someone describes is deluded.

I could almost cry as that smell of bringing up functional issues such as for ME being able to acces services or do things that require more energy or function than they have ‘standing in peoples way’ comes up and us tackled like it’s the patients responsibility rather than something THE helper should be sorting. That’s just cruel gaslighting.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2023
    Lou B Lou, alktipping and Sean like this.
  3. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

Lou B Lou, obeat, bobbler and 5 others like this.