1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Clinical Characteristics, Activity Levels and Mental Health Problems in Children with Long COVID: A Survey of 510 Children, 2021, Buonsenso et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by rvallee, Mar 9, 2021.

1. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Background
    The World Health Organization has recently recognized Long COVID, calling the international medical community to strengthen research and comprehensive care of patients with this condition. However, if Long COVID pertains to children as well is not yet clear.

Methods
    An anonymous, online survey was developed by an organization of parents of children suffering from persisting symptoms since initial infection. Parents were asked to report signs and symptoms, physical activity and mental health issues. Only children with symptoms persisting for more than four weeks were included.

Results
    510 children were included (56.3% females) infected between January 2020 and January 2021. At their initial COVID-19 infection, 22 (4.3%) children were hospitalized. Overall, children had persisting COVID-19 for a mean of 8.2 months (SD 3.9). Most frequent symptoms were: Tiredness and weakness (444 patients, 87.1% of sample), Fatigue (410, 80.4%), Headache (401, 78.6%), Abdominal pain (387, 75.9%), Muscle and joint pain (309, 60.6%), Post-exertional malaise (274, 53.7%), rash (267, 52.4%). 484 (94.9%) children had had at least four symptoms. 129 (25.3%) children have suffered constant COVID-19 infection symptoms, 252 (49.4%) have had periods of apparent recovery and then symptoms returning, and 97 (19.0%) had a prolonged period of wellness followed by symptoms. Only 51 (10.0%) children have returned to previous levels of physical activity. Parents reported a significant prevalence of Neuropsychiatric symptoms.

Conclusions
    Our study provides further evidence on Long COVID in children. Symptoms like fatigue, headache, muscle and joint pain, rashes and heart palpitations, and mental health issues like lack of concentration and short memory problems, were particularly frequent and confirm previous observations, suggesting that they may characterize this condition. A better comprehension of Long COVID is urgently needed.

Pre-print: https://www.preprints.org/manuscript/202103.0271/v1

2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am noticing a much more equal balance between sexes in recent studies. The imbalance continues to tip higher in women but clearly not at a 4:1 or even 3:1 ratio, something closer to 60:40.

3. Denise

Denise Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can't find their description/definition of PEM though they say 53.7% have it.

Dolphin, Simon M, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  4. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This kind of question or uncertainty baffles me. I remember being terribly depressed when I was a child/teenager. I even told my parents about it, which was incredibly rare for me, so I must have been feeling really terrible. The response was "Children can't get depressed! What have you got to be depressed about?"

5. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

why classify cognitive problems as mental health . this just opens an avenue for the clueless idiots to jump in with their so called self professed expert opinions.

Alis, Keela Too, geminiqry and 11 others like this.
  6. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This

7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

alktipping, Snowdrop, Simon M and 8 others like this.
  8. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wish they wouldn't refer to these symptoms as 'mental health issues'.

9. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Code:
    https://twitter.com/ferranespuny/status/1369585745212620811

alktipping, Dolphin, Simon M and 6 others like this.
  10. Simon M

Simon M Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This study might yet be consistent with ME/CFS. The average age in the study was 10.3 years. And a couple of studies for ME have shown that the gender map imbalance emerges at puberty. It would be interesting to see data for the gender ratio pre-/post-puberty.

Separately, this study found that more women than men were likely to get long Covid (odds ratio 2.9:1, Which would give 75% female patients if men and women were infected equally), Even though men are more likely to get severe Covid:
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1369041839865671680

FMMM1, alktipping, Hoopoe and 5 others like this.
  11. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

One thing that increases depression and anxiety is being disbelieved about health problems and as a result getting no treatment. I don't know if children are believed more or less often than women. I remember being disbelieved about how ill I felt, or how much pain I was in, as a child and as a teenager, so it seems to be a common issue.

12. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah, can that be ANY more vague.

Mithriel and alktipping like this.