1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus - worldwide spread and control

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Patient4Life, Jan 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

ladycatlover and Wonko like this.
  2. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes - she started feeling ill on Thursday.

The MP first showed symptoms on Thursday - the same day she attended a Downing Street event hosted by Boris Johnson to mark International Women's Day, according to a health department spokesman.

The 62-year-old also met people at a constituency surgery in Bedfordshire on Saturday.

https://news.sky.com/story/nadine-dorries-health-minister-tests-positive-for-coronavirus-11954928

There’s a big issue here - the fact she started to feel ill and still continued going into work and in fact meeting constituents face to face. Because in the UK, you are still being told you are only at risk of having coronavirus if you’ve travelled from China (despite China now reporting fewer new cases per day than the UK), or Iran or Italy or a “hotspot” country, or been in contact with a confirmed case.

On social media I’ve seen people saying they’ve been refused tests because of it (edited to say, that this includes people I know, one person I know very well, and also videos of people including one man who came on the Victoria Derbyshire show). From news statements, the way they were worded seemed that At least two of people who died had been in hospital being treated for other conditions and then they also tested them for coronavirus. Sorry if this seems alarmist but it seems to me it is almost certainly circulating in the population - but if people aren’t being tested for it, how do we know how many really have it, and to what extent it is community level spread now?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    Sarah94, Chezboo, Leila and 6 others like this.
  3. Trish

The number of tests they can do in the UK is being greatly expanded from 1500 to 10,000 per day, with hospital path labs being able to do the tests as well as government labs. This should help signifcantly, I think.
    BBC news: Coronavirus : NHS to ramp up testing capacity

Hutan, Chezboo, Leila and 8 others like this.
  4. lunarainbows

Regardless of the number of tests, the criteria for testing is still only - if you have been in contact with a confirmed case, or come back from one of those countries. If that’s not going to be updated, then we still won’t know how many people really have it. I am waiting to see what comes out of the cobra meeting.

South Korea did not wait - they started testing the community. That’s how they picked up so many cases.

Hutan, Sarah94, Chezboo and 4 others like this.
  5. lunarainbows

Other than what I’ve seen a lot of on social media (edited to say, this includes people I know), I also know personally of one person close to me (who I am currently in contact with by digital communication), who had all the symptoms of Covid-19, together with fever, and they called 111 in March, but was told that they did not need a test because they did not fulfil the criteria.

In today’s Cobra meeting, we need to see a change to the testing criteria, as well as some very serious social distancing measures.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  6. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Coronavirus hits ill and disabled people hardest, so why is society writing us off?
    By Frances Ryan

Oh, and to really cheer everyone up, according to The Grauniad NHS 111 has been giving wrong advice.

7. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Note from the moderation team:

Please keep posts on the topic of coronavirus, its spread and control measures. If you share information, please link to and quote responsible sources rather than repeating possible misinformation.

Please remember the 'No politics' rule. You may report what actions governments are taking and scientific and medical advice being given, but please restrict your comments on these to discussion of the science and practicalities.
    Avoid making comments that include value judgements about particular politicians, political parties, governments or political systems. In particular, suggestions that a politician or party is doing or not doing something because they want people to be harmed will be deleted. This rule also applies to material you quote and/or link.

As coronavirus threads have been keeping moderators busy, notification of edits to, or deletion of, your posts in these threads will generally be done via your alerts rather than individual personal messages.

Other threads on this topic:

Coronavirus: Advice from ME organisations

Cooking with Corona - coping with power cuts

Chloroquine phosphate has shown apparent efficacy in treatment of COVID-19 associated pneumonia in clinical studies, 2020, Gao et al.

8. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree the limitations on testing and the advice isn't great. However those criteria for testing might have been so narrow because they wanted the test for those most likely to have been exposed as there weren't enough to go around. hopefully with tests becoming more freely available things will change.

9. Invisible Woman

This lunacy of it only effects older or people with underlying health conditions is absurd.

Both those groups make up a significant number of our workforce.

Many younger and supposedly less vulnerable people may have older or ill friends and relatives. They may not realize that some people they rely on like childminders, school staff, cleaners, taxi drivers, delivery drivers and NHS staff may have underlying health issues. So if they go about infecting those they'll soon see how much they may take for granted.

That's what our society is - interconnectedness and mutual dependency.

Hutan, Sarah94, JemPD and 7 others like this.
  10. lunarainbows

Just to be clear, although I mentioned I’ve seen many on social media - I also personally know one person very closely who this has happened to, I do have email evidence but obviously this is someone I know and don’t really want to share screenshots of the email on this forum.

Other than that, the social media stories I was referring to are also including people that I know, although not as closely.
    In addition, I was also referring to videos of people I have seen, one of which has been shown on reputable shows such as the Victoria Derbyshire show. I will search for the link once I’m back from hospital and feel well enough to to do so.

The fact the test criteria are narrow is well known.

11. Invisible Woman

And a brief look on the brighter side.....

A lady on my local Nextdoor forum posted she is fit and healthy and prepared to assist those who are elderly or unwell and who need some extra support be it shopping or dog walking or whatever.

Now our local group and the next village along are setting up a team of volunteers and at least one other local group is joining them.

While situations like this brings out the worst in some it can also bring out the best in others.

NelliePledge, ahimsa, Hutan and 15 others like this.
  12. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

article from The Lancet is here.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2020
  13. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I do not think it is too late to deal with this crisis. Some countries in the east are doing very well. The rate of new cases in the UK has flattened in the last few days and it may be that the great majority are people coming back from Italy directly or indirectly. That may at least tail off. There is clearly some community spread but there is a suggestion that it is quite quirky and local. Maybe airports are a big problem. Maybe political handshakers are a big problem. Maybe jet setters going to three countries in a week are a problem.

If people keep themselves to themselves I don't see why this should not be sortable. We might have thought that other countries would lag behind and keep leaking cases into the system but if anything it looks as if it is us that is doing that.

14. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Jonathan Edwards, when you say 'sortable', what do you mean? I'm a bit confused by the situation. In China, for instance, the rate of new cases is now pretty low but if restrictions on people's movements are lifted, is there anything to stop the spread resuming? Our populations have no immunity so is it just a question of rate of spread, rather than eventual scale of spread?

Or is the idea to slow things down so that lots of people still won't have been infected by the time we get a vaccine (at least a year, think).

ladycatlover, Sarah94 and hinterland like this.
  15. Jonathan Edwards

What I mean roughly is that it ought to be possible to limit infection to perhaps a total of twice the current number of cases - say 1000 people in the UK. That would be one in 60,000 of the population - rarer than most really rare diseases.

I think the situation in Wuhan is something like one person in a thousand affected. We tend to think they've all got it but absolutely not And it seems spread is almost brought to a halt. The sparser the cases the easier to halt. It just needs commitment. SARS was halted. Ebola was halted.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2020
  16. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But as long as it's in the population at all, won't it keep spreading and multiplying the number of cases, unless we take ongoing extreme measures? I thought it was very easy to transmit and that each case was infecting about four people on average.

ladycatlover, Sarah94 and hinterland like this.
  17. Jonathan Edwards

I don't think the evidence points t that. As far as I know even the cluster of cases that came from the French chalet were all traced and the spread stopped. It is not that difficult to stop spread in most cases it seems. The problem comes with certain individuals who for some reason spread widely without knowing they infected but they are probably less than one in ten of cases - maybe much less. I am working on the basis of not catching this by being careful - even if there comes a point where 20% of people have it at one point in time.

If the mortality rate was 50% the spread of Covid-19 would have been stopped long ago - just like ebola - it is just a matter of commitment.

18. Trish

It would be interesting to find out how many the UK government minister spread the virus to, given that she did not self isolate until a couple of days after symptoms started and was in close proximity to a lot of people in that time.

19. Jonathan Edwards

20. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't even use the pre-made stuff, as it (along with everything else that's not made for eczema sufferers) will begin to split the skin on my hands within 24 hours of starting using it. Probably somewhat counterproductive when it comes to excluding bugs...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.